Substrate Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobtrop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to be trying my hand at a live plant tank for the 1st time in many, many years. I'm going to start out small and use a 10 gallon. I bought one of the AH Supply 2x13 retrofit kits along with 2 6700K bulbs. My question has to do with the substrate. I plan on using either Eco-Complete, laterite or flourite, but how much will I need? Also, what are good prices, both online and at my LFS? Thanks.

I'm using one bag of Eco-Complete in my 10gal and that's plenty. Can't speak to prices because I got it at cost.

laterite is a substrate enhancer...you'd layer it underneath gravel or sand. I personally don't see any need for laterite if you use flourite or eco-complete. 1 bag should be plenty for a 10gallon.
You shouldn't pay more than $25 a bag for either of those 2 substrates, though ecocomplete is sometimes a few $$ more than flourite.
Online prices vary too much...I'd just search the sites and see what hte cost is, but make sure you check shipping. Usually these heavy items are the normal shipping rate, plus $5-$8 per bag additional freight charge.

I was looking into getting some Eco-Complete and a bag at the stores near me cost $25+tax. They can be cheaper online, but the shipping will kill you. So check around and check the prices. One bag of Eco-Complete is all you need for a 10g tank.

I found 20 lb. bags of Eco-Complete at AquariumPlants.com for $10.99, plus $10.92 FedEx ground shipping (I live in the Chicago suburbs). $21.91 total seems like a great price. Anyone have experience with this site? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom