Substrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone used kitty litter for their planted tanks? I was looking for information or feedback from people who used it, is it safe for the fish? I am aware there is substrate designed for the planted aquarium, but I live in a remote area and it is hard to come across.

Hmm, aren't there scents and perfumes and such in kitty litter? That stuff can ruin your tank if it is in there.

I've heard good things about it when it was, but I'm not sure which one. You want the plain kind, but not the really cheap kind, because it will turn to slush in your tank. You probably want some sort of fired clay (I think that's basically what fluorite is). There is a product called Turface used for baseball diamond drainage, which I'm using. I got it for like 8$ for a 50 lb bag, and it's pretty light, so like maybe 1/3 the bag filled my 29 to 2-3". You can find it at farming supply shops.

Hmm, aren't there scents and perfumes and such in kitty litter? That stuff can ruin your tank if it is in there.
not in all of it.

some people do use it since it has a high CEC.

turface is a good option. if you cant find some local i have a couple other options you can try if they dont work out.

Back
Top Bottom