substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaintedCarcus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok so ive been slowly making my tanks natural and i was wondering if it is possible to put sand over gravel.i have a medium sized gravel that my plants are well rooted into but i would like the look of sand better is it a bad idea to put sand over the gravel.make it harder to clean?i do have some dwarf hair grass coming soon so would sand be ok for it?im a newbie to this so just wanted to check before i did this. thanks!

It would be harder to clean when you mix the sand and gravel, I would just completely change the gravel to sand, Much better for Dwarf Tear (Yes they would do great with Sand)

Tyler

Defintely just remove the gravel.

Sand is mroe natural, but be careful about what type you use. Cheapo sands can cause a lot of serious problems. From taking FOREVER to clean, to silica causing brown algae, fine particles burning out filters, toxic anoxic pockets developing, and compaction preventing plants from rooting. Buy sand made for aquariums and you can avoid most if not all of these problems (depending on which sand you use).

IMO I wouldn't use sand just because the difficulty in cleaning and it can clog up your filters. Some plants won't root well in sand.

The right sand will sink quickly, so the only way it will be a problem to filters is if fish (like goldfish or cichlids) actually pick some up and spit it into the filter intake.

There are no issues cleaning it, debris stays on top where you either vacuum it or have enough flow to keep it moving until the filters collect it.

I only use Estes' Ultra Reef (freshwater safe) so this may affect the difference in experiences.

ok so if i do decide to completely take the gravel out and replace with sand...how do i got about that with my rooted swords? also what kind of sand would you recommend?

oh yah how do you clean sand just hover the vaccum over the sand or just kinda stir it up so my filter picks it up?

Either debris will keep moving until the filters grab it or you hold the vacuum part of your siphon over the debris during a water change and it will lift right up.

I use Estes' Ultra Reef, it is freshwater safe. Vacuum the gravel really well two days in a row. After the second time turn off your filters and just start scooping the gravel out. Once it is all out pour in the Estes' sand and work it until it all settles. This is a little work, but the only work you will ever really have to put into it. Once it is all settled fill the tank back up and turn the filters back on.

Take the plants out before the change, trim the roots, and plant in the sand.

Thank You so much!!Lot of help!
It was a success!Sand is in plants are planted and fish remand happy! I will post pictures soon.

Back
Top Bottom