Substrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I'm considering changing my substrate in my 29 gallon from fine gravel to either sand or eco-complete/flourite. I'm mostly unsure whether the change to a "plant" substrate would be worth it for my set up.

I've got a tropical setup with a low tech moderately planted thing going on. I just ordered a new light that should put me more in the low-medium category rather than the super low lighting that I have right now.

Current plants include:
crypts - wendetti & parva
vals - corkscrew and normal
anubias - can't remember specific
Christmas moss

So from what I can tell the crypts and the vals would be the only ones to benefit from a plant specific substrate. How long do the nutrients in the substrate tend to last? Or is there more benefit to plant substrate
than just having more availible nutrients included in the substrate?

Right now I dose root tabs monthly, and the crypts seem fairly happy. Haven't seen a ton of growth from my vals yet, but I'm hoping the lighting upgrade will help.

How hard is sand vs. plant substrate to clean? This is the only tank I've had, so I'm really only familiar with cleaning gravel!

Thanks in advance.

IMO the plants you have really wouldn't warrant a commercial substrate BUT if you think down the road you might want to venture into alot more plants it could be helpful. Commerical substrates are usually high in CEC (cation exchange capacity) meaning it can absorb nutrients from detris and the water and hold them for use by plants. But you still benefit from using root tabs with plants like crypts and swords. I don't use sand because I don't really like it but many use it in planted tanks.

Thanks for the info, Rivercats! I do think I want to expand my planting over time so it sounds like the plant substrate might be a good long term investment. Also I like the idea of it absorbing nutrients from the water. Sounds like it should help somewhat with water quality. I also like the dark color of the ones I've seen in tanks.

Is it fine to keep Pygmy Cory cats on it? How hard is the substrate to vacuum?

Also, any recommendations on brands or where to purchase?

Rivercats and I use Eco Complete as our planted substrate. I'm not really big on vacuuming except for some surface crud because what gets underneath the substrate is broken down and plants can utilize it. Your Cory's should be fine, I have 6 in my 40 gallon and they are very happy and doing fine

Great, Eco complete seems readily available. Good to know your corys are happy with it!

I guess I'll just learn by trial and error how to vacuum the eco substrate. I just need to remember not to get too crazy cleaning it!

Thanks for the advice, all!

Great, Eco complete seems readily available. Good to know your corys are happy with it!

I guess I'll just learn by trial and error how to vacuum the eco substrate. I just need to remember not to get too crazy cleaning it!

Thanks for the advice, all!

You should only have to skim the surface of crud, fish waste will bury beneath the surface and be utilized by your plants. GL!

Thanks for the info, Rivercats! I do think I want to expand my planting over time so it sounds like the plant substrate might be a good long term investment. Also I like the idea of it absorbing nutrients from the water. Sounds like it should help somewhat with water quality. I also like the dark color of the ones I've seen in tanks.

Is it fine to keep Pygmy Cory cats on it? How hard is the substrate to vacuum?

Also, any recommendations on brands or where to purchase?

It will absorb nutrients but can only hold so much so it really won't have an impact on helping water quality IMO. As for buying it I would do some serious online searching as you can usually get it much cheaper and shop until you find it where if you spend enough (which isn't hard when buying Eco) you get free shipping since it weighs alot.

Personally I don't vacuum any of my planted tank substrates. If you have an open area without plants you can vacuum lightly but if there are plants in the substrate you risk damaging roots if you vacuum too close.

That is incredibly cheap! I think that is just local because I've never seen it that cheap by me or online are you sure? Lol

That is incredibly cheap! I think that is just local because I've never seen it that cheap by me or online are you sure? Lol

6 months ago the price was $18.99 for the first bag I bought. In January I saw the $9 price and asked if it was a mistake and the mgr said it was some kind of promotion (other CaribSea products on sale as well). Picked it up because it was such a good price. Picked up another one for the same reason.

It will absorb nutrients but can only hold so much so it really won't have an impact on helping water quality IMO.

Good to know! Not that I was planning on changing my WC frequency, but I like to know what effect different parts of my tank have on overall water quality and QOL for the fish. Also good point about the shipping.

Fresh2o said:
Not sure if this is nationwide, but my local Petco has been selling 20# bags of EcoComplete for $9 for the last few months

Wow, that does seem cheap! I may have to go check out Petsmart first! Thank you for the tip.

6 months ago the price was $18.99 for the first bag I bought. In January I saw the $9 price and asked if it was a mistake and the mgr said it was some kind of promotion (other CaribSea products on sale as well). Picked it up because it was such a good price. Picked up another one for the same reason.

Wow you lucky dog that's insane! Basically a two for one sale good for you!

Good to know! Not that I was planning on changing my WC frequency, but I like to know what effect different parts of my tank have on overall water quality and QOL for the fish. Also good point about the shipping.

Wow, that does seem cheap! I may have to go check out Petsmart first! Thank you for the tip.

I don't think petsmart carries Eco complete but you can try. At least around here (Long Island) they don't sell it. Even some Petcos don't have it by me, or let alone even know what it is. But we'll save "Petnos" employee incompetency for another thread...

Back
Top Bottom