Substrate question ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemc75

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60 gallon tank. That I plan on emptying next weekend. To move
Started and got addicted to live plants. I have 3 bags of Eco complete 60pounds. And the old gravel from the tank. Should I just go with the Eco. Or put Eco under old gravel ? For more depth ???

I have a 60 gallon tank. That I plan on emptying next weekend. To move
Started and got addicted to live plants. I have 3 bags of Eco complete 60pounds. And the old gravel from the tank. Should I just go with the Eco. Or put Eco under old gravel ? For more depth ???
Hi. I would go with just the Eco. You may need more Eco for a 60g. I'm setting up a 29g and was recommended to use 3 bags. I am using the fine version(currently being shipped).....

Dirted tanks are more complicated to keep all levels in check. Eco is much easier. I have used both and would prefer Eco any day over a dirted tank

I have had great success with dirted tanks, i didnt run any ferts and kept relatively simple plants, use an organic soil without any fertilizers (great for plants but will kill all your fish). If its a larger tank run some water through the soil first. Then put it in your tank, cover with gravel (or you could use your eco) and fill with water. When your filling with water pour water into a dish in your aquarium, this way dirt doesnt splash everywhere.
I suggest you check out "dustins fishtanks" on youtube. He explains everything and its what convinced me to do a dirted tank.
Best of luck either way:)

Actually if your actually using organic soil say miracle grow organic potting mix then it won't kill your fish at all. No need to run it through any water at all. Dump it into the tank and cap it off. Simple as that. Let the tank cycle and your done.

Back
Top Bottom