substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to be getting a new tank soon and I am thinking about having medium light plants. However, I don't know how long it'll be before I get the lighting so here is my question. Do I have to use Florite in a planted tank? If so, will the minerals (or whatever it is in Flourite that make it so good for plants) be leached out and useless after a while? And, if I don't have to use flourite, can I use sand? I don't have a sandy tank, and I was thinking out it because this tank will house two catfish who will be rummaging around the bottom (I understand they might try to uproot plants but so far they haven't in my 10 gal. Oh! I would also like to grow some of that grass-like stuff I keep seeing in so many pretty tanks (but only on part of the tank, which means pruning and replanting for me I bet). Would this work in medium light? Perhaps even in low-light? I'm asking this because I have a feeling I won't be able to get my lighting right away unless I get lucky in my hunt for a tank. BTW, the tank is going to be anywhere from a 45 - 60 gal tank, and will be longer and broader as compared to those "high" tanks.

Flourite won't lose it's nutrients, and no its' not needed for a successful planted tank.

But, depending on the 'grass' you're talking about, you may very well need 3watts per gallon. If you're talking dwarf hairgrass, it needs high light. Pygmy chain sword needs close to high light (2.5wpg).
Dwarf sag. should be ok in 2wpg. Anything under 2wpg is low light and you'll be hard pressed to grow anything 'grassy'...you'd be limited to java moss, java fern, crypts and anubias species.

ok, thanks! guess I wont have any grass in this tank, at least not until I can upgrade my lighting (or possibly find a great deal on an entire tank... that would be soooo cool!)

what about collecting the sandy mud from a lake that is nearby and using that as my substrate? Would that work or would it be too risky with pollution, germs/bad bacterie, etc...?

too high a risk of pollution. besides a 50lb bag of sterilized silica sand is like $3 at a Home Depot/Lowe's.

Back
Top Bottom