substrate question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dertyharry420

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have caribsea Marine sand and was wondering if this will be sufficent enough to support my plants..? i kive them kent fw and kent pro plant with kent black water expert...

Plain white sand doesn't contain alot of nutrients for plant. Some fertilizer tabs buried in the sand might help to feed the roots.

Seachem makes some. They are the same folks who make Flourish fertilizers. Can't recall the brand name (Flourish Tabs maybe?) You just bury them according to the instructions and they last for about 6 months I believe. Having lots of healthy plant roots will also help prevent the sand from becoming anaerobic.

Yes, Flourish Fertilizer tabs, by SeaChem. Each tab covers a 4-6" radius, and lasts up to 3 months, though realistically mine lasted 2 months before they were totally dissolved.
They're ok, but you can actually make your own root tabs very cheaply if you have access to the right chemicals. mostly you need a clay powder, and some plantex CSM as base ingredients. www.plantguild.com sells all the supplies

Back
Top Bottom