Substrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlrust1816

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just added some white rock on top of some darker blue rock. I did this to allow a plant to be properly anchored.

What effect will this have on my Male and Female Bolivain rams?

From what I have read, most fish are uncomfortable over light substrates. It makes them feel like easy targets for predators. They may hide more or be more jumpy, especially at first. They may get used to it with time however. Have you noticed behavior changes?

You can mix up the rock so that they colors are not so stark. Also if your tank has just recently cycled, make sure to test your parameters a day or two after the addition of the substrate.

I thought only chiclids only became uneasy with lighter colored substrate, I think it was chiclids anyways lol

I didn't think any fish got uneasy with lighter colors LOL, my cichlids have beach colored sand and they don't care, unless that isn't light enough to make a difference. Either way mixing the colors up would look neat.

I will be putting some nice rock in my 75G when I get my plants. I've got some snow-white rock, plum sea glass, black glass, glacier jade, forest green rock, black lava rock, and red lava rock. Going to look good when I get done. Personally, I don't think light substrates affect how a fish reacts, but sometimes does affect the coloring of the fish. I heard people say lighter substrates cause a little duller colors, while black substrates bring out very nice coloration. Not sure how much truth there is in that, or what fish are affected like that.

tropicfishman said:
I thought only chiclids only became uneasy with lighter colored substrate, I think it was chiclids anyways lol

Cories, most bottom feeders, and the majority of smaller fish like darker substrates. The best book I have found so far was the Complete Encyclopedia of Tropical fish..... they talk about what type of pH, Temp, Color of Substrate, Type of plants, and companions to best bring out the color of your fish.

Barbs, for example.... like dark substrates, so do Cardinal Tetras. Just some FYI from what ive read.

Lonewolfblue said:
I heard people say lighter substrates cause a little duller colors, while black substrates bring out very nice coloration.

That is what I have read in a couple books. But also remember that coloration is a sign of low or high stress, so if they are duller in color, they are higher stressed (go to petsmart and look at the "blue" gouramis that are silver).

Back
Top Bottom