Substrate Switchover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastrategist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a planted tank with a mix of white sand and gravel. I have cories neons angels and rainbows in my tank (50 gallon) and today I plan to get some plant bulbs and a planted substrate to partially cover the tank. Should I take out the fish when putting in new substrate and what planted substrate would you recommend? Please soon I will be at l petsmart in an hour.

Any plant substrate is eventually going to mix into what is already in your tank. I use Eco-complete but it's black and I don't think it would look very good with what's in your tank. You could just get some good root tabs and use them around all the plants you have planted in the substrate.

Petsmart didn't have root tabs, ill pick some up tomorrow at my lfs. I did get 1 water lily bulb, 1 water onion bulb, 6 aponogetom bulbs and looks like 6 stems of Telanthera Cardinalis! Sweet deal altogether for 12 bucks!

Can't tell from the picture for sure but the stem plants in the back right of the tank look to be planted in a bundle. If that is the case you need to take them out, cut about an inch off the bottom of the stems, then plant each stem individually with the leaves almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around it. This allows light and water circulation to the lower stem and leaves.

Back
Top Bottom