Sugar and yeast CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
This seems almost too good to be true are there any cons to doing this? I wouldn't do this to my planted tank but maybe in the container where I'm going to start growing plants to sell (I have worked way too hard on my tank to start experimenting).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's pretty simple really. Realtively safe and inexpensive, you should give it a try! Lots of easy setups on the Google site

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks!

I do a 2cup sugar to 1/4 teaspoon yeast. That's been working for me for about two weeks and then change the batch over again.

I'm guessing the mixture that come with the Nutrafin kit is yeast? Have to add sugar and water...

I did DIY CO2 in my planted tank for about a year and the plant growth went from meh to outstanding. I later switched to pressurized CO2.

I did DIY CO2 in my planted tank for about a year and the plant growth went from meh to outstanding. I later switched to pressurized CO2.

Did you like the DIY CO2 or the pressurized CO2 better?

Is the sugar and yeast co2 safe for shrimp?

Pressurized is the way to go!!!!!!
I did DIY co2 in one of my tanks for a while. The inconsistency of it is frustrating and having to mix it up and the mess, unsightly bottles and tubes. I gave up and found a pressurized system. Now it's basically set it and forget it. Once the pressurized co2 is dialed in to where you want it, you don't have to do anything but change out the tank once every year or 6 months or whatever. Depending on size of co2 tank, aquarium size and how much you want to inject.(usually around 30ppm) the growth of the plants is phenomenal and it's so easy. It turns on by itself and off by itself. The initial setup cost can be quite expensive but it's totally worth it. I will never do DIY again, if I want to add co2 to anymore tanks(I do) I will get another pressurized setup or split the one I have already.

Clayman pretty much summed it up.
DIY is cost friendly and sufficient for smaller tanks with low-medium to medium light. Larger tanks usually require more CO2 than a DIY setup can deliver and the plants in a higher light tank needs a consistent CO2 level.
My lighting increased and I needed a controllable carbon source.

In some of Takashi Amano's gallery tanks he has got a very simple pressurized CO2 system that was very interesting. It looks kind of like all he did was attach airline and a check valve to the CO2 tank and add a plastic bubble thing with a suction cup into the aquarium...if someone could go check it out online and clarify for me that would be very helpful. Here's a link to one of the videos where it shows the system.
The video is about aquascaping so you may have to skim through until you find a part where it shows the CO2. My planted tank is 10 gallons (and I plan to put rili shrimp and snails in it yay!) so I shouldn't need a whole lot of it right? Also can't you just dose for a while and then stop when you have the results you want? I don't think I want to set up a whole "system" per se but more like a temporary co2 dosing apparatus until I'm happy. How much does co2 cost, where can I get it and how long will it last if I use it in my ten gallon.

It's all about balance. The amount of light you have on your tank will determine your need for co2. The plants will react to the higher light levels by growing faster. This means they are sucking up nutrients like crazy. When you increase light you also have to increase nutrient levels. This is done through adding fertilizer to the water column and tabs in the substrate, or a nutrient rich substrate. The limiting factor then becomes co2. So adding co2 will balance the system and let the plants use as much of the nutrients and light as possible. When the system is out of balance algae is usually the end result. All that being said, temporarily increasing the co2 till you are happy with the results would only allow you to achieve those results temporarily.

As has been said the initial cost of setting up co2 can be expensive:
Regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, co2 tubing, diffuser, check valve, co2 tank.

After that, my local welding shop will fill me up for 15 bucks. I will have to do that like once or twice a year in a small tank such as 10gallon. I use a 5lb tank. You can get larger tanks that will last longer.

The cost of a pressurized CO2 system can be under $200 for an entry level, yet reliable setup. I can list parts that fit in this budget if you'd like.
The bubble thingy in the video with the suction cup is most likely a ceramic diffuser. It is similar to an air stone, however, it produces a fine mist of bubbles.
DIY CO2 can produce good results when lighting, ferts, and CO2 are in balance as mentioned in the previous post. This is what my 20g long looked like just before I switched to a pressurized system last year. I went through some growing pains (lots of reading and research) to get it to that point but was pleased with the results:
A2BbNha.jpg

It looks like its more complicated than I had originally thought....:(

Will root tabs without co2 be ok? I'm going to get shrimp so I don't want to mess up all my minerals so I'm thinking maybe I should just leave everything alone and wait for my plants to grow...

Will root tabs without co2 be ok? I'm going to get shrimp so I don't want to mess up all my minerals so I'm thinking maybe I should just leave everything alone and wait for my plants to grow...

Sure. I have a shrimp tank and I only fertilize the substrate. It was low light for a few years. Then the dual T5 NO fixture recently croaked and I replaced it with a Finnex FugeRay from another tank. Intensity wise it went from low to low medium.
The necessity of CO2 depends on the lighting. If it is low light, then I would not worry about it.

DIY Co2 for me, been running it for 2 months in 2 tanks (40g and 36G - very consistent CO2 Levels), has been outstanding!

Running w/ Ceramic Diffuser:

In the 2 Liter
2 Cups of Sugar
1 TSP Baking Soda

Mixing Bowl:
1/2 TSP Yeast
1 TSP Sugar 104 Degrees (whisk for 10mins then pour in 2liter)
I let this sit over night, and then disconnect one of my bottles the next day and thread the new one on, that way I don't have to rebuild pressure. That mix can last up to 2 weeks, I run 2 2liters and rotate one out each week so it stays constant.

Also got it setup with 1/8in Brass Fittings in the Pop Caps, instead of the stupid push an airline tube through the bottle, and hope the silicone/hot glue holds.

One day Ill do pressurized in my 60 gallon, but for now, I am very happy w/ DIY.

Back
Top Bottom