Suggested Dosing Regime.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recieved my order of ferts and plants the other day- KNO3, K2S04 and Flourish, Bacopa and HC. I was going to order some KH2P04 aswell but it was out of stock.
I have just planted my tank with HC, Bacopa and some Elodea Densa and i am now wandering when to dose? (The tank's a 20gal long with a 96W CF light fixture)

I was given this dosing schedule as a starter but it's always good to get a second opinion, so how does it look?
Also as a complete newbie to EI and ferts altogether it seems a little daunting. How do i measure out 1/32 of a teaspoon?!
Also how do i put the powder in the tank? I would've thought that you get some tank water in a glass, put the right amount of powder in, stir, then pour into the flow of water.

Here's the suggested dosing regime.
1/8 tsp KNO3 - potassium nitrate {3 x week}
1/32 tsp KH2PO4 - mono potassium phosphate {3 x week}
1/32 tsp K2SO4 - potassium sulfate {3 x week}
1/32 tsp or 2ml Trace {3 x week on off days}
50% water change

How i assume it goes like this...
(minus the KH2PO4 which i will order asap)

MONDAY
KNO3
KH2PO4
K2S04

TUESDAY
Flourish

WEDNESDAY
KNO3
KH2PO4
K2S04

THURSDAY
Flourish

FRIDAY
KNO3
KH2PO4
K2S04

SATURDAY
Flourish

SUNDAY
50% Water Change

Saturday is today so i guess i'll start with flourish?!

TIA

I usually mix the ferts in a glass of water and dump it in. The flourish you can just dump in. As for the 1/32 tsp measurement, you can get the smallest spoon you can find and guess from there or mix up a 500ml bottle of a solution of each nutrient and then dose that. It might make it easier for you.

I would start tomorrow. Do your water change and add you macros tomorrow, alternate with micros all week and take Saturdays off. That is what I do.

When measuring small amounts of ferts, it's much easier if you buy an inexpensive digital scale. Buy one that measures grams with an accuracy of at least 0.1g. You should be able to pick up one for around $20 off of eBay.

There are some extra small novelty measuring spoons for Pinch, Dash, and Smidgeon that you can buy as well. I believe that one of those may actually be the same as 1/32tsp, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Yeah it sounds good to start from the beggining, there's no point in starting right near a water change either! :roll:

Saying that Purrbox i think i know where i can get some of those spoons that measure out 16th's and so on. It would be a miniscule amount though!

You can find P in an easy to dose dispenser at your local pharmacy. Pick up a bottle of Fleet's Enema. I've been dosing it exclusively for P for 15 years of more and find it not only inexpensive, but counting drops makes it very easy to dose two or three times a week.
Actually I don't even buy Fleets anymore. I buy the generic drugstore version (RiteAid in this case) which is even cheaper.

Len

If Fleet's is your chosen PO4 supplement 3-4 drops will be about the same as 1/32 tsp. of dry PO4. You could mix 50/50 with water and dose ~2ml. as well.

Purrbox said:
When measuring small amounts of ferts, it's much easier if you buy an inexpensive digital scale. Buy one that measures grams with an accuracy of at least 0.1g. You should be able to pick up one for around $20 off of eBay.

There are some extra small novelty measuring spoons for Pinch, Dash, and Smidgeon that you can buy as well. I believe that one of those may actually be the same as 1/32tsp, but I'd have to check to be sure.

I actually sell the scales on EBAY My user name there is Fatjack007 if you are interested in them

Back
Top Bottom