Suggestions: Fast Growing Stem Plant for a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy folks!

My planted 10g is having a bout of beard algae (yuck). I've a CO2 level of 27, add ferts once a week (Flourish), have a laterite substrate with sand, and the plants in the tank are growing like weeds. Obviously its still not enough to outcompete the algae tho. I really don't have a lot of room for fish left, and it was suggested I try some fast growing stem plants to help suck up the extra nutrients.

So I'm looking for suggestions; what can I add to my tank which will fit?? I already made the mistake of adding plants which get way too tall and grow in all directions LOL, and I'm pruning every week. I'm hoping for a stem plant which doesn't normally get over a foot tall, will grow fast but not try to takeover the entire tank (will kinda grow up, not send runner throughout the entire substrate) and do well with crypts, anubias, swords, cyperus helferi and what appears to be vals. I have some hygro and considered using that, but I'd like to have an idea of what else I could use as hygro isn't one of my fav plants.

there are a LOT of hygro varities.

sunset hygro looks awesome.

I also have some willow leaf hygro that looks nothing like the sunset

i think all stem plants will try to grow as tall as they can, it's in their nature

ludwiga (red or green), grows up and not out, but it does have a lot of roots until get gets well established

bacopa grows up, with minimal roots and i havent' noticed any runners

Allivymar...

Might want to cut back on the fertilizer a bit. The only way the algae can go that nuts is if the plants aren't using all of the nutrients...leaving plenty for the algae to go crazy.

You don't mention how much light you're using but if you want some algae-busting plants you might consider Rotala indica, Egeria natans, or Hornwort.

Duh yeah, I did forget the light levels. There's 32.5 watts over the tank at 6500 k, and another 15k of actinic (makes those neon/cards look awesome). Is it the actinics maybe?

I only put in ferts once a week, and even then I can't seem to get a registered level of iron, so I've been considering upping the levels. Maybe not?

32.5 watts over a 10 gallon! Very good! With that much light you're pretty much wide open as to what you put in there. Any of the three that I mentioned before should grow like weeds and out-compete your algae.

I wouldn't discontinue the fertilizer completely but maybe cut back on it a bit until the algae problem has diminished. Have you considered using one of the dedicated iron supplements to bring that Fe level up? I keep my planted tank as 'low tech' as I can so I'm not really familiar with all of the specialized fertilizers but I read somewhere about some that are designed to bring your iron level up without screwing up your other parameters.

Um....another thing to consider...I think I've seen on some of your posts that you keep shrimp. I've heard that Amanos will gobble most algae like it was popcorn! Just a thought.

LOL Cut back. Oi. If I add any less I don't think I'll be adding enough to see it in the dropper *grin* I started using Flourish Comprehensive 3 weeks ago (PlantGro Iron Enriched prior); 1 ml a week (the first mark on the funky lil dropper it comes with).

Just added some more cherry shrimp, but it appears they haven't read their descriptions and they think they're detritus eaters and not algae eaters. At least, I see em sifting thru the substrate all the time, but rarely on the plants with the beard algae. I'm waiting on another Bamboo; maybe I'll add some Amanos to the order...

I was tempted to order some flagfish, but I just don't think I have the room. Was why I was asking about plants. Flip side is, I'm not sure if I have room for anymore of those either LOL

Ah...what a quandry! Too many plants!! (LOL) Just out of curiosity...did you notice the increased algae growth shortly after you started adding the Flourish Comp?

I noticed it after adding the PlantGro; though if I switched ferts it might help. Hah! No difference; the beard algae isn't going anywhere except all over my d*mn plants and the tank walls. I thought adding ferts would help reduce algae as it should cause the plants to grow even faster. Guess not huh *sigh*

Guess not :? . In most algae-free planted tanks I'll bet you'd find that the nutrient levels in the water were relatively low because the plants were using the majority of them and not leaving much available for algae to thrive on. Give 'em lots of food and algae will do what pretty much any organism will....grow like a...well....weed! (Takes note of his stomach and realizes that it can grow like an alga too if he's not careful.)

Oh....Allivymar....how did you manage to teach your cherry shrimp to read at all?? I can't even get my yo-yo loaches to play with a yo-yo!!!

Your yoyos don't yoyo? Mine do...I'll bet you weren't using Duncans ;)

Hrmm. Ok; I'll go a month with no ferts and see if it makes a diff. In the meantime, I'll look into the Amanos...

Duncans!!! I think you've solved my problem!!! I should have thought of a better breed of yo-yos for my yo-yos!! I'll toss one in the aquarium forthwith!!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom