Suggestions for a Co2 system on a 125.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafy0126

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking to buy a co2 system I'm expending too much on Excel. But I'm looking for recommendations best brands for regulators, what size for the tank and how much will it last. I like to research before buying anything. So your comments will be appreciated. ..

I use the milwaukee ma957. It came with the regulator, bubble counter, needle valve, solenoid, and maybe 15' of co2 safe tubing. All I needed was the tank and the diffuser. You can usually find it online for $90 or so

the Millwakee is a good one, I use an Aquatek and I've had good luck with it for the last year and a half. A five pound cylinder will last me 6 month's or more. I have 2 and I just rotate them. Green Leaf Aquariums has some high end regulators if you want to go that route. I have found that a simple glass diffuser works fine for me, I also use a JBJ bubble counter. The Millwakee includes the JBJ but the Aquatek does not. Aquatek comes with a plastic one that I used for a while but I like the JBJ better. You will read a lot about needle valves and set pressure vs adj pressure but at the end of the day these are really not complicated at all and I very rarely have even touched mine other than to swap out the tank. There pretty much set it and forget it (once you have the bubble rate that you want). Hope that helps a little!! Keep us posted!

the Millwakee is a good one, I use an Aquatek and I've had good luck with it for the last year and a half. A five pound cylinder will last me 6 month's or more. I have 2 and I just rotate them. Green Leaf Aquariums has some high end regulators if you want to go that route. I have found that a simple glass diffuser works fine for me, I also use a JBJ bubble counter. The Millwakee includes the JBJ but the Aquatek does not. Aquatek comes with a plastic one that I used for a while but I like the JBJ better. You will read a lot about needle valves and set pressure vs adj pressure but at the end of the day these are really not complicated at all and I very rarely have even touched mine other than to swap out the tank. There pretty much set it and forget it (once you have the bubble rate that you want). Hope that helps a little!! Keep us posted!

How big is your aquarium ? 6 months is not bad !!!

My 10lb tank ran my 55g for close to a year, and for most of that time it ran 24/7 due to my specific diffuser...

Can I add a timer and used only when the lights are on?

Ideally that is how you want to do it. Most people set their timers to go on 2 hours before lights on and off 2 hours before lights go off

The reason I can't is my in-line atomizer diffuser requires a high amount of pressure for the co2 to get pushed through. Overnight if the co2 is off that pressure dissipates and the atomizer essentially becomes clogged with water. Then when the co2 turns on it spends more time clearing the pores of the atomizer before it starts diffusing again. I'm trying to find a way around this but I can't find one that will work. My current thought is to run an air pump through the atomizer overnight to keep that pressure up, but I don't know if a standard air pump can put out a sustained 4lbs+ without breaking. My other option is to get a 2nd complete co2 set-up, but run pressurized air/oxygen instead of co2 on an opposite schedule. Not willing to spend a couple hundred on that though....Not yet anyway

That's what I want. Did you notice a big change in your plants or not that much? My tank looks good but I never experienced that huge growth in my plants.

Go to my profile, and look at my photo album 55g progression. The third picture is when I started co2, and the fourth is a month or so later. As you can see, Huge difference, and that was with just one month of DIY co2. I couldn't believe how everything took off

The reason I can't is my in-line atomizer diffuser requires a high amount of pressure for the co2 to get pushed through. Overnight if the co2 is off that pressure dissipates and the atomizer essentially becomes clogged with water. Then when the co2 turns on it spends more time clearing the pores of the atomizer before it starts diffusing again. I'm trying to find a way around this but I can't find one that will work. My current thought is to run an air pump through the atomizer overnight to keep that pressure up, but I don't know if a standard air pump can put out a sustained 4lbs+ without breaking. My other option is to get a 2nd complete co2 set-up, but run pressurized air/oxygen instead of co2 on an opposite schedule. Not willing to spend a couple hundred on that though....Not yet anyway

I run an inline atomizer as well. It doesn't need to be on 24/7, and while it does need to pressurize when it comes back on, mine takes about 30 second to a minute to start misting again.

But yes, with a tank that size, you're definitely in pressurized CO2 territory. I use a Milwaukee regulator, and it works fine. I did replace the bubble counter/needle valve after about three years, but A) it got a little dinged up in a move and B) I upgraded to a double outlet manifold, which is pretty sweet.

I use an Aquatek Premium regulator. I also bought a 3-way splitter, and diffuse it through powerheads at 3 different points in my tank. It works very well. Regulator is on a timer. It comes on about 1.5 hrs. before the lights, and shuts off the same.

Looks like Aquatec and Milwaukee are the brands to check out. Checking Amazon and Ebay is close to $350 investment, but with a 20lbs tank. I promised my twins two Xbox one for Christmas , will see !!! But im pretty sure i will get one soon !!!

$350 seems pretty high to me. My whole system was only around $175. I get my 20# cyls. from our local convenience store. Pay the $75 deposit, and $19.40 for the gas. Just swap out when they get low. Check out sellers that handle Aquatek on Amazon. I've bought all my regs. for $79. They include 1 bubble counter, and 16' of tubing as a gift.

$350 seems pretty high to me. My whole system was only around $175. I get my 20# cyls. from our local convenience store. Pay the $75 deposit, and $19.40 for the gas. Just swap out when they get low. Check out sellers that handle Aquatek on Amazon. I've bought all my regs. for $79. They include 1 bubble counter, and 16' of tubing as a gift.

They got so many to choose from, im just working on a budget if it is less even better. I think is because of the new tank bottle, maybe I will try to find one used. That's about $145 less. That is just checking on ebay and amazon.

If the tank isn't going to be seen, I wouldn't buy a new one. Most places that handle co2, don't fill your tank, they just exchange. So your new tank would be gone, and you would end up with an older one anyway.

If the tank isn't going to be seen, I wouldn't buy a new one. Most places that handle co2, don't fill your tank, they just exchange. So your new tank would be gone, and you would end up with an older one anyway.

Yeah my plans are to put the tank in the room behind is just a storage room. I just make a small hole in the bottom of the Shiprock and pass the tubing there.

ForumRunner_20131214_115309.jpg

The room is right behind the tank.

First off, let me say the tank looks great. Having a spare room to hide unnecessary equipment in is nice. If you have canister filters, you could run the intake/return tubes through there to.

First off, let me say the tank looks great. Having a spare room to hide unnecessary equipment in is nice. If you have canister filters, you could run the intake/return tubes through there to.

Hey man thx, yeah I have two canisters in my tank. I got a powerhead also but not using it. It has enough water movement.

I gotta say that im just started using Seachem other line Aqua vitro just to give it a try. So far I like it but I still think I need co2 is a big tank and I think on the long road is going to be cheaper.

To answer your question I have a 5lb tank on a 55 and it goes at least 6 months I switched my last one in February I think and it probably has a couple weeks left right now. Both the Aquatek and Milwakee can be had for under a hundred bucks. I'm not sure what the tanks cost I already had them.

I turn on 2 hrs before lights on and 30 min before lights off. I haven't had to adjust it really at all other then just wanting to for no good reason.

You can buy either of those set ups plus a difuser of choice and be just fine. If you want to add something down the road there very easy to work with.

I do like that difuser that green leaf has and I want to try one but it aint broke and I probably shouldn't try to fix it!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom