Suggestions for types of plants to keep with golds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelleygirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm after any suggestions or recommendations of which types of plants are suitable to keep in a goldfish tank. I know that Anubias and Java Ferns are good choices but I'm after some plants that I can pot in the gravel and won't be eaten by my goldies. Also I know that I'' be limited to the amount of choices I have, since I'm setting up a low light no co2 system tank but any suggestions are welcomed!

I had a fairly well planted 29 gal goldfish tank. I found I did best with Anubias and other plants with a wax-like feel as well as with fast-growing stems (grew faster than the goldies could eat them). For the first 9 months or so, the goldfish didn't even touch ANY plants, but after a weekend away from home, they decided they were hungry... You've got a challenge ahead of you, but it's quite possible to pull off. Good luck!

FMJnax, besides Anubias what other types of plants do you have in your tank? Can you name some of them so that I have an idea of the types of plants that you are talking about.

Thanks it seems that I'll need the luck!

Fancies can do well with a lot of plants .... mine don't bother with most of the plants I tried (Anubias, hornworts, Java ferns, Cambomba, vals, crypts) except swords. Other fast growers like Egeria densa & Hygrophilia are worth trying also. These work in ponds with golds ... might grow fast enough for a well lit tank.

My golds will nibble on swords, and I never had luck with them <maybe just my bad gardening skills>. They also like to dig & will uproot some plants (crypts don't like that at all.) To minimize the digging, I have a layer of 1/2-3/4" pebbles over the plant substrate & this seems to work well <so far .... my 4" golds are starting to move the smaller pebbles, may get to be a problem when they get even bigger?>

I don't have live plants in with the goldies anymore, but here's what I can remember having:

Anubias
Java Fern
Wisteria
Crypt (not sure what type. It survived long enough to propagate twice though)
Anacharis
Java Moss (attached to driftwood... the fish acted like lawnmowers. lol)
Corkscrew Val (ended up being a fish-favorite meal)
Dwarf Sag
Moneywort (another fish-favorite meal)
Duckweed, floated

For the first 9 months or so, I can only remember them nibbling at duckweed and the moss. I used larger river rocks around the base of most plants to keep them rooted. If you just use straight gravel, then I bet you'll find that you spend most of your upkeep in replanting. After my weekend slip-up, the only plants that seemed "safe" were the Anubias, Anacharis, Duckweed, and Java Moss. The rest were hit too hard to look good anymore.

Hope that helps!

I don't have experience with regular goldfish and plants in an aquarium together but I brought some koi in for the winter this year. I placed them in a 29 gallon bio cube that I had fully planted. I had Marimo balls, Red Ludwigia, Hygrophila difformis(wisteria), Hornwort, Cabomba (Carolina), Didiplis Diandra and Red Tiger Lotus(aquarium lily). After about 3 weeks the only thing left was the tiger lily. They ate everything and I didn't starve them. I fed them well twice a day. They eat like kings. I can't wait till spring when I can make the pond bigger and put them outside where they belong (GRIN)

Back
Top Bottom