Super glue help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got this super glue but it doesn't seem to say gel type anywhere. Is it still safe for attaching plants to rocks in my aquarium? It has cyanoacrylate and polymethyl methcrylate in it. Will it still hold underwater?

Attachments

• 20171130_180132.jpg
    20171130_180132.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 118
i heard that as long as it has Cyanoacrylate then it is safe to use in aquariums

if its the liquid type just don't try to glue underwater it will give you the spiderweb effect .
I always try to use gel as it seems to be more workable , I seen a gel in the fish store it had a tint in it so it dried purple that would be good for saltwater , wonder if they have one with a green tint for freshwater,

Ok so I finally got this gel glue and it has ethyl 2 cyanoacrylate which is apparently safe. But then I looked on the back and it said "do not mix with water because it will create dangerous fumes"
I was wondering if it was talking about its non cured state or not. Should I be worried about this?

Another thing, how long should it take for the glue to fully cure? And there appears to be different types of cyanoacrylate. Some appear to be more toxic than others. Is the glue I got still safe? And, do I need to wait for it to completely cure or just completely dry before I can put it in the tank. It says curing will take 24 hours

^^^ 24 hours? I used to give it a full 30 seconds and back into the tank.
I am/was not aware of the different types of cyanoacrylate and toxicities. I just used (sparingly) the gel type because it is less messy.

if I waited 24hrs every time I had to glue something in my tank I'd never get done .
they do sell a accelerator to help the curing time.
when I use gel I have a regular bottle of crazy glue handy once I put the gel on I drop 2 drops reg crazy glue And it dries instantly . never seem to have a problem

Yea I’ve never worried about curing times. I’ve just stuck it on wait till it hold and then pop it in the tank. Never had any issues [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom