Switching filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleMossHead84

Aquarium Advice Regular
So quick question...I am running a tetra whisper hob filter in my tank at the moment. My tank has been running for 3 weeks now. I bought a sponge filter today and am wondering is there a procedure for this. I mean I am putting a new sponge with no bacteria on it or anything into my tank. Should I keep both of the filters running at the same time until my sponge has been in the tank for an appropriate time? Help.

Yes, keep both filters running until the bacteria builds up in the new filter.

Since your tank has been running for 3 weeks, it is probably not Cycled yet. I would keep both filters running until a couple weeks after your tank has cycled (Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates <20).
It also does'nt hurt running 2 filters. I am running Two Tetra 10's on my 10 Gal planted. No such thing as over Filtration.
My 2 Cents :)

well yes, over filtration can hurt. also, is there fish in the tank? there shouldn't be. and if you are doing a fishless cycle, can you get a used sponge?

Thanks guys and I am not doing a fishless cycle. I had a little update of knowledge after I put my fish in. However at the moment my levels are stable and I have no introduced anything new into my tank nor to I plan to for about 3-4 weeks. I will run both of the filters because my tetra is nice and bacteria-y already. Thanks again for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom