switching substrate????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaternewbie12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been thinking about replacing the substrate in my tank. The tank is 55 gallons and has anubias and some wysteria. The wysteria is floating. I currently have a black/white mixture of sand, but want to switch to gravel....can i just use plain aquarium gravel or do i need to put another substrate under it?? Thanks in advance!

Entirely your choice obviously but why switch to gravel? Sand is so much easier to keep clean as the waste can't get trapped in amongst the stones. Also the switch from sand to gravel is much more awkward than the other way as you will have to remove all the fish whilst you clean out all the sand.

Dreadz said:
Entirely your choice obviously but why switch to gravel? Sand is so much easier to keep clean as the waste can't get trapped in amongst the stones. Also the switch from sand to gravel is much more awkward than the other way as you will have to remove all the fish whilst you clean out all the sand.

^^^^agreed. But if you are dead set on switching I recommend Eco complete. It's all black and is fantastic for planted tanks.

I use Eco Complete in all my tanks and have found it a good substrate if your wanting to do a planted tank. If your planning on only having anubia's and floating wisteria then don't spend the money on it. If your really wanting to add plants to the substrate then a good commerical substate such as Eco is a good investment.

You can definitely use plain gravel. The important thing is to try to find small smooth gravel. Anything large or jagged is a pain. All my first planted tanks had small smooth normal gravel with something like laterite under it to help out the plants. (it was actually Shultz aquatic plant soil but it's off the market now)

If you like gravel there isn't a thing wrong with using it as long as you aren't hoping to grow delicate ground cover type plants.

I put in the gravel today....gonna see how the anubias do with nothing but the gravel and will change it again if I need too.....i really like the way it looks

saltwaternewbie12 said:
I put in the gravel today....gonna see how the anubias do with nothing but the gravel and will change it again if I need too.....i really like the way it looks

Just don't actually plant the anubias rhizome into the gravel. The more roots that you leave exposed to the water the better.

Back
Top Bottom