Switching to LED lighting -- plant suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

basketballqt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I may or may not have went a little crazy with black Friday deals. Aside from purchasing $400 in hedgehog supplies, I decided to buy new lighting for my 29 gal.

I previous had florescent lighting, and my plants are not growing . I have something in there that was labeled at the pet store as an "amazon" which is totally dead. I also had hornwort which all died. I now have baby tears, some sort of grass, and some water sprite which I just added. I have java moss in the aquarium as well but it is browning and looking awful. I'm not totally sure what could be going wrong except the lighting.

My one bulb randomly turned blue so I bought another. This one blew within 2 days. I'm not sure if the issue is the hood (which should still be under warranty) or if the lighting just ins't enough.

Anyhow, I ended up buying some LED lighting today instead of option for another new bulb.

I bought this one:
Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture: LED Aquarium Light Fixtures

Is this going to be enough lighting for the plants that I currently have? Also is this a good price for what I got? If I decide to buy more LED, is there any other recommendations to get a better "bang for my buck"?

I have a glass cover on the aquarium now -- is it going to be okay if I just put the LED on top of this?

Thanks for all the help from anyone that gives it :) I've had an aquarium for a long time, but I'm trying to get a little more fancy.

Should do. I have a cruddy Chinese Mingtak or some such single row of 18 LEDs on my 5.5. Hornwort, dwarf hairgrass, Java fern all seem to thrive. I have to butcher the hornwort weekly or it takes over the tank and the fish are swimming circles in the corner.

Mister's ditto set up had a couple of pinches of moss, now has a dark green mass overtaking one of his decorations. His water sprite had to be moved because it was starting to grow across the top of the water. Staur repens isn't the same as baby tears, but that's doing well also.

I think you'll do pretty well with the new light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom