Sword?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, the roots have to be in the substrate. Trim any roots longer than two inches with scissors. Put a root tab or two close to the spot it will go. They are root feeders. Pull off any old or funky looking leaves. Wiggle roots into the strate till the crown of the plant is just at the strate level. Push any stray roots showing into the strate. Sit back and enjoy. They are a pretty dependable plant. OS.

They are very heavy root feeders and usually need to have root tabs added more frequently than other root feeding plants. They especially like and use a lot of phosphates and iron.

If I don't have root tabs yet, should I wait to plant? It is in a plastic tube w/ gel.

Remove it from the tub and wash off all that gel. Trim roots down to 2 inches if they are longer than that. Remove any brown or damaged leaves from the plant and then plant it now. Just get root tabs as soon as possible.

What's a root tab iv never heard of that and I love your sword btw I have the same kind it's an amazon narrow leaf sword I have two different kinds of swords in my tank here my narrow leaf

Attachments

• image-2002647867.jpg
    image-2002647867.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 61
Awesome! I've never used them, but I'm guessing they are like plant food discs you put under the roots of the plant. Maybe fertilizer or something. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

Root tabs are fertilizers in a tablet form that are used in the substrate close to or under plants that are root feeders. Swords, Crypts, and bulb plants all need root tabs as they are heavy root feeders.

I've never used a root tab in my life and my swords are amazing except my broad leaf swords maybe I should get them some lol

It all depends on what nutrients are available in the substrate. But Swords are pigs and enjoy excess phosphates and iron. Swords can do fine for some time until they deplete the nutrients in substrate then they begin to show nutrient deficiencies. Also Swords that are doing fine can literally explode with growth when root tabs are added and replenished as needed.

Back
Top Bottom