Sword Plants in a small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,

I have a beautiful small 2 gallon Betta tank and I have put a nice sword plant in there. ( pics to come ) everything seems to be going good so far. My Betta loves resting on the leaves.

I have plenty of experence with sword plants, but never in such a small tank. will it reach a certain size that is comfortable for it and stop growing? will it die from lack of space?

thanks for your help.

AFAIK swords will grow to their maximum size if provided enough light and nutrients.

Also, 2 gallons is too small for any fish, even a betta. Min. tank size is 5 gallons.

Well, I had that betta in a one gallon for 2 years before the lighting system finally broke so I figure he will be fine in the two gallon.

I have a sword plant in my five gal betta tank. And it is doing really well so far. Every week I prune back any leaves that need it, when a leaf reaches the surface it folds over about an inch. And so far it stays at that size. I can see how this plant could take over though.

I read that when they start getting unmanagable, you can cut back the roots and that will keep them from growing so fast.

I have a betta in a 2 gallon, and he is extremely happy and everythingis fine. I believe the leaves won't grow too high above surface level, however, it's the leaves that grow out that will take over the tank.

Regular care should keep the plant under control.

sweet. thanks guys. I just was worried that it would die in a tank that small. My betta loves the leaves so as long as it doesn't get to cramped, I will let them go. Just gotta make sure they don't cover the whole surface. Gotta breath somehow!

Depending on the variety of Sword, it could take over the tank in a month or less.
Even E. Tenellus will look huge in a 2 gal. Let us know how it works out for you.

I see no reason at all, why a betta will not be perfectly happy in a 2. You could even throw in an Oto, and a pygmy cory. for company. :D

Len

I have had the plant in the tank for almost a month now. It looks good still, I had 3 leaves die off, but the rest are big and green and beautiful. Pictures will come soon!

Well, I had that betta in a one gallon for 2 years before the lighting system finally broke so I figure he will be fine in the two gallon.

Yep, prison inmates live a perfectly healthy life in a 5'x7' cell too...

Its well know that Bettas can and do live in very small places naturally ( small pools and puddles). Being that Bettas are labyrinth fish, The are quite happy and content in such an environment.

I would never suggest that it is ok to keep a Betta in a vase or a small cup all its life. Infact, I feel that a one gallon tank with its own filtration system is the MINIMUM for a Betta.

Again, My Betta did wonderfully in his 1 gallon home for nearly 2 years, Now that I have moved him to his new two gallon home he seems, well...just as happy as he was before.

I am not a cruel fish owner. Someone who keeps a betta in a small vase and changes the water every couple of weeks or so, that. Is a cruel owner.

When you think about how your betta was born and raised in an old whisky flask in thailand along with about 200 thousand of his brothers and sister, a clean, pretty, and natural looking 2 gallon tank with a filtration system, a light and a small heater doesn't seem all that bad does it?

I'll Have Pictures here soon (maybe tonight I dunno, I gotta re-install some software.)

Back
Top Bottom