Sword Woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an Amazon Sword in my tank that is slowly deteriorating. The leaves are turning yellow around the edges and developing holes. What's odd is that it's not all of the leaves, and there is another Amazon Sword next to it that seems to have no problems right now. No other plants in the tank seem to be having issues either.

I know my BN Pleco likes to sit on the leaves of this particular Sword. Could that be what's causing it, or is there some other explain.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Some ppl say that BN will suck on them now if they are to close maybe one plant is taking nutrients from the other.

Is it mostly the old leaves or the new ones that are going yellow and developing holes? Sounds like it's probably a Potassium deficiency.

Reactions: HN1
Describe your lighting, stocking, and routine if you would. That will help to be sure, but I agree with Faile.

Do you add fert tabs? Swords are heavy root feeders and what you describe sounds like a nutrient deficiency.

It's both old and new is what's getting me.

I've got only 1WPG over the 55 gallon tank, which I know is on the low side, but I've got another Sword right next to it doing great. 4 Angelfish, 2 BN Plecos, 3 Rams, dozen Harlequin Rasboras, six Panda Cories, five Kuhli Loaches.

I'm probably due to add some new fert tabs, but what still gets me is that the Sword next to it is doing fine.

You might want to check to see if the sword that is having problems has developed a corm at the base of the roots in the center. If so, it's trying to go dormant. You can remove the corm and it should start growing well again.

The problem with the leaves, still sounds more like a Potassium deficiency. For whatever reason, that plant is just more sensitive to it. This is also one of the nutrients that you most often need to dose in a setup like yours.

Thanks for the advise. I did an extra dose of potassium. I'll keep my level up and see how that goes.

+1 for Potassium, and make sure it has got a good root tab...if you use flourish root tabs it should do great!

Back
Top Bottom