Swords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
When you plant any kind of sword plants at the side do you move it away from the glass just far enough so the leaves are spread out and don't touch the glass or have them close so they are pressed up against it? Oh and I was wondering if there were any negative effects on having the plants touching or just right next to the heater.

I would leave some room for the leaves. The last thing you want is to have your leaves curling due to obstructions. Same is true for the heater. An inch or so away is good.

I'm with Jchillin. With swords you want to plant with plenty of room to grow and expand because most of them tend to get quite large compared to other aquarium plants. They put down an extensive root structure as they grow and can become quite a pain to move after a time because of this so its best to plan ahead and give them lots of space.

True, most swords can and will take over most tanks. I know that the compacta sword i have in my 29 now is growing so well i have to keep it trimmed back so that the rest of the plants can grow. am also fixing to have to cut off the 5 plantlets that are growing, since they all now have some roots at the nodes. not sure what to do with them though, as i have no room in that tank to put them.

Aye, large roots need room to spread in all directions. Plus the leaves crammed up against the glass may not get enough light. How close really depends on the size of the plant and the shape of the leaves.
Perhaps, look at the width (diameter) of an adult plant. Then use about 1/4 of that as your minimum distance. So a plant that gets 12 inches across could be put about 3 inches from the sides.

Thanks for the info. Another question, one of my Amazon swords used to reach the top of my tank and now after a few months of trimming the plant leaves don't grow so tall anymore. Why is that?

How much light do you have? What are your test levels? Are you fertilizing? Mine grow out of the tank.

I have like 2. something WPG. I only add Seachem Flourish to my tank. My nitrates level is about 5-10.

Do you know your phosphate levels? Swords need iron as well you may be getting enough from the flourish.

I don't have a test kit that tests for phosphate so no I don't know. I'm getting a shippment of fertilizers on monday though.

Back
Top Bottom