Swords and Excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have several planted tanks, all doing well, but I am curious about using Seachem Excel with certain plants, namely Amazon Swords and Hornwort. a) Is it effective for Amazon Swords since they feed from roots? b) Is it good for Hornwort?

I am using it in my tanks, but have noticed that while the swords are doing good, they don't seem to be getting much bigger with Excel, so I questioned if it's even effective for them. I also dose Flourish a couple times a week as well. Secondly, my floating Hornwort is growing, but wonder in this case if Excel is actually hindering it at all. I only say that because since using Excel in my 120gal, with Hornwort being the only plant in there, it seems to be flourishing less (not dying) since using Excel.

My tanks have bright lighting. I am not injecting Co2 and am hoping not to since I have 5 planted tanks and bottled nutrients are easier.

I would welcome any feedback.

I've always found in my experience that root tabs and co2 injection are the 2 main growth factors.

When I switched from co2 to excel my hornwort withered away to nothing.

Caleb

I've always found in my experience that root tabs and co2 injection are the 2 main growth factors.

When I switched from co2 to excel my hornwort withered away to nothing.

Caleb

Thanks for reply. I think I will stop using Excel in my tanks with Hornwort and add some root tabs for the swords. As far as C02, what is your thought on the Fluval 88 system with the mini sized cartridges? One of my tanks is on a large set of built ins so the size would be convenient. Secondly, I just don't want an unslightly C02 tank sitting in the living room.

Back
Top Bottom