T5 fixture not working, how to fix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram_g0p

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I was changing water, some water seems to have gotten into the T5 fixture, just few drops may be. The lamp made weird cracking noise and went out. What went wrong? any way to fix this? I really can't afford buy a new fixture now. This one is only about 3 months old. Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

The fixture is made by Coralife and it came as kit when I bought my 25 gallon Aqueon kit.

I have one. I tried to test it, but I am not sure I am doing it right....

ram_g0p said:
I have one. I tried to test it, but I am not sure I am doing it right....

Put your leads across the bulb sockets and flip the switch. Hopefully you'll see some voltage.

I tried the continuity (resistance) testing across the leads and it' doesn't move. However, the same test across the bulb leads work fine. So somewhere inside the fixture there is a circuit breakage. I opened the screws at the end and can only access the sockets. I can't find a way to access the ballast :(

You need to check the voltage to make sure the fixture is working. It sounds like your bulb is fine.

ram_g0p said:
I tried the continuity (resistance) testing across the leads and it' doesn't move. However, the same test across the bulb leads work fine. So somewhere inside the fixture there is a circuit breakage. I opened the screws at the end and can only access the sockets. I can't find a way to access the ballast :(

Was the light fixture turned ON when you tested?

Sounds like you blew the ballast. You may be able to pick one up at a hardware store and rig it up to the fixture.

I wonder what a coralife replacement would cost? It was 65 bucks for my CF ones.

Look at basic shop light fixtures at menards. You might be able to pick one up cheap and pull the ballast out of it and put it in yours.

Will do. Thanks for the suggestions. The set up is a bit tricky (at least for me) to access the ballast, but can be done. Just need to be patient and work on it. I spent some money to get a new fixture as I have live plants in the tank. Hopefully, I can fix this and have a back-up or even increase my lighting so that I can grow some other (demanding) plants.... Thanks again.

Well the lamp fixture (24 inch dual lamp T5 NO) at Petsmart was $59.99 and I was able to use 20% coupon from Petco :) At least saved few bucks....

Back
Top Bottom