T5HO Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmenehan2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I simply want to know if enough light is getting into my 29 gallon aquarium. I currently have 2 T5HO suspended 10 inches above my topless tank. Should I be running all 4 T5HO bulbs with the aquarium light raised that high? I have DIY Co2 and dose CO2 booster daily. I want to know if I am in the high light range before I start dosing dry fertilizer.

What kind of fixture is it? 10" above the aquarium is probably losing quite a bit by the time it gets to the substrate level. I do know that a even a cheap brand 2 bulb t5ho directly atop a 29 is usually enough to get into the upper medium-high range.

The light fixture is a EnviroGro FLT24 2-Foot Four Tube T5 Fluorescent Grow Light System. The fixture seems to have descent reflectors. I am willing to put all 4 bulbs in, I just don't want to do that before I get all of my dry ferts. I run the light for 5 hours, then off 2 hours, then on 5 more hours.

I have a 29 gallon tank and filled to the bottom of the black trim it gives me 16 inches from top of water to substrate. That is with a three inch deep sand substrate. Two bulb T5HO setting on top of tank gives me high light. With yours raised that high you would have low light at best. The first chart of numbers is the distance from top of water line to substrate. Four bulbs would be way too high according to this chart. However, it does depend on how strong the bulbs are. Some bulbs give better light strength.

Back
Top Bottom