T5HO lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.sam

Aquarium Advice Activist
I should be receiving my new lights some time today. My question is concerning bulbs. My local fish supplier is trying to convince me to replace some of my bulbs on my new t5 with pink and yellow t5 bulbs. If I do decide to do this will it have any affect on my plants or am I just wasting my money. The guy at the pet shop said it would help with growing my plants. I don't know if I should believe him or not. Hear is a picture of the light I ordered. What do you think I should do.

image-2038147407.jpg

Look at the color temp of the lights. For plant growth, you want them to be full spectrum and between 5,000k and 6,700k. 6,500k is the bread winner though. If they are anything more or less, this guy is talking out of his ***. :ermm:

I agree with jehenry89. You want the bulbs to be around 6500k. If all of them are within that color temperature your plants should do well.

Effective plant spectrum is from 5000k to 7000k. what is pleasing to our eyes is not really the most pleasing to the plants "eyes". Many people put is a full daylight (6000-6700K) and a flora-max (5000-5500K) bulbs together to get the blues, greens and reds in the plants and fish to look the best. I have a 4 bulb fixture by Aquaticlife for a high light heavily planted tank and am really pleased with the 3 Geiseman 6000K and 1 Geiseman 5000k bulbs. The 5000k really makes my red plants and fish colors pop. Congrats, looks like you got a good fixture. OS.

Plants can use light up to 10000K. The main difference is the higher the K the more blue light it has. Also the higher the K rating the brighter the light appears to the human eye. Many people like 10K bulbs with a pink rosette bulb to balance out the higher blue light with added red spectrum. Many people like the 6500-6700K range. It really is a matter of opinion what you think looks best. I use Geisemann bulbs 6000K Midday and the pink Aquaflora bulbs in my T5HO fixtures. I would suggest seeing what bulbs come with the fixture and if they are in the right K range see how you like them. You can always replace them if needed or wanted.

Back
Top Bottom