T8 bulb upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a T8 fixture that came with my aqueon starter kit. I plan to get anubias, java ferns, java moss and probably some crypts later as starter, low-light plants. This is my first plant experience.

I have looked into improving my lighting, but it appears converting to T5-HO or PC will require a complete fixture change. This is more expense and trouble than I care to take on at the time.

So, what is the best T8 bulb (brand, K level, wattage, etc) out there, keeping in mind that my fixture only holds 1 bulb?

I am trying to stay low tech and low maintenance.

Basically, all t8 bulbs are approximately the same power. You can try retrofitting your fixture to make it take different bulbs but that's just as expensive as buying a new fixture.

You currently have a low light tank, you could just stick with a low light planted tank and call it good. Very little maintenance is involved.

Thanks, Mebbid. I had just come across some alternative T8's in regards to temperature ratings. Specifically, Zoo Med Flora Sun at 5000K and Zoo Med Ultra Sun at 6500K. Both bulbs are pretty inexpensive, but no reason to spend that money if not an upgrade.

I have an 8000K bulb currently and I didn't know if either of those bulbs had a preferable K rating. I know to look for K between 5000-10000, but didn't know if there was an "optimum" K level.

Thanks, Mebbid. I had just come across some alternative T8's in regards to temperature ratings. Specifically, Zoo Med Flora Sun at 5000K and Zoo Med Ultra Sun at 6500K. Both bulbs are pretty inexpensive, but no reason to spend that money if not an upgrade.

I have an 8000K bulb currently and I didn't know if either of those bulbs had a preferable K rating. I know to look for K between 5000-10000, but didn't know if there was an "optimum" K level.

People will tell you that you need 6500k for plants but its really not necessary. I ran a 29g off of 10000k bulbs for a while with great success. The k rating matters even less in a low light tank.

Thanks again. By the way, how often should a T8 be changed in a low light tank. I have seen references that range from 3 months all the way out to 9 months. What is your opinion?

Thanks again. By the way, how often should a T8 be changed in a low light tank. I have seen references that range from 3 months all the way out to 9 months. What is your opinion?

In planted tanks it's a fairly standard practice to change them yearly. It's usually 9 ish months in a salt water tank though.

Back
Top Bottom