Takashi Amano and the problems in Japan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder what Japanese use to stabilize their tanks from quakes or what other measures they take to strengthen tanks, they get quakes almost daily.

Probably swivel casters. I've used them on a stand for a honey extractor. since the extractor can be quite unballanced as it spins out the honey from the frames, the vibration can be quite harsh. with swival casters on the stand the extractor sits on, it just kinda rolls around in a small circle as it it trys to move with the vibration. it actually absorbs quite a lot of the force. So. if you put swivel casters on a tank stand, and put the stand on a smooth floor. The floor will move around under the tank with out taking the tank with it.

I live in an earthquake prone area, Alaska, and had planned on building my own stands with at least about a 2 inch lip the tank fit in directly. In bad shaking the glass will shatter regardless, the only thing you can really stop is things sliding off. All breakables on shelves are there with the use of museum earthquake putty, kinda like silly putty that keeps them from sliding in a quake. Additionally, the stand, like all heavy furniture is secured to the wall to keep it from tipping over. The same with the aquarium stand.

Back
Top Bottom