Tall, low light....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon planted aquarium that's low light. I think it's the standard plant light bulb that's 4 ft. long, so it's like 1 Watt per gallon. Nothing special. I have some plants now that do fine, an anubias, some bronze wendtii I think it's called, java lace fern, and tiger lotus and that's all I can think of right now. Anyway, the plants are all doing great. Growing and everything. Except for some algae problems I've had (that don't affect the plants, they're all thriving and it's been planted for at least 9 months)... everything seems to be great.

The problem I have is that I have a 55 gallon so it's kind of tall. Most of my decorations and things seem to be really close to the bottom. I had some floating water sprite, but I have a few platys. And I would like to get rid of them completely,but they had babies like crazy with those floating. Anyway, I'd like something that's low light that's a bit taller that would make the tank seem... less... compacted at the bottom. Any ideas for a low light, bright plant that would grow tall enough to be at the top of my tank? (preferably not something like a lily though)...

Anacharis will easily reach the top. I have it in my 29 which is the same height as a 55 and it bends over easily at the top.

If you really want some tall long stuff I suppose you could go with a jungle val. That will soon grow ridiculous and shade the entire tank though.

Hornwort will also grow tall, thin and/or bushy.

Some of the taller crypts and anubias would work fine.

Hygro and wisteria would get taller, but questionable with your lighting.

Back
Top Bottom