tank plants assistance/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goof

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20g tank with a couple of plants that I want to change to a more planted tank that I am hoping to get advice/help on. I want a kind of want a jungle overgrowth look and feel.(not biotope)

To start with, I have hard water, and no plans for doing things like adding CO2. Find with puttign in root tabs to jumpstart growth.

Lighting: Upgraded the lighting that came with the tank (18” T8 I believe) to a coralife hood I had sitting around forever. (6700k 28 watt 13” 4 pin, no idea of lumen,etc)

Substrate: Current: a course sand substrate I made.
Plans: Mixing in Seachem Flourite black sand into the substrate. I believe the it's finer and will gravitate to the bottom levels. I may toss a handful of Flourite Red or normal on top for the aesthetics I want.

Plants: Current: crypts, some duckweed, Recently got some tall grass(vals?), oh and some algae. Also fake planks and some minor hardscapes.
Plans: Do a rainforest/jungle look such as plants like: Water Wisteria, Water Sprite(Ceratopteris), African water fern (Bolbitis heudelotii)
Think you get the idea. Not sure for low or carpet plants. I dont care for tick carpet, but something low growing I think would be nice. I welcome suggestions and stuff, hard to look at picks of tanks, chase down what I like and pick through options.

Fish, etc: Current: 6 female bettas, 4 neons, 1 oto, and platties.
Plans: Moving wife's bettas to new 40g long + oto. Let plattys populate, add cherry shrimp (how many?) Maybe add more inverts to eat bottom crud. Debating MTS . . .

Filtration: Aqueon quietflow 30 with ATI prefilterI have some alterations and a fake plant making the waters not so turbulent.

So, comments, suggestions?

Thanks,
Goof

Back
Top Bottom