Tank re-set up, need some info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ALittleSalty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As some of you know my 20 gallon tank had a minor accident two weeks ago. I have set up my new tank, a 29 gallon tank. I decided that this is going to be a planted tank. I decided to use 1 bag of flourite mixed with my existing black gravel. After getting everything rinsed and put in I ended up with a 2-2.5" bed that looks pretty natural. For the filter I am running a XP1 with the stock pads, and filter media for right now. I decided to use the spray bar attachment as well. I am running a 100 watt heater set at 79 degrees. As for the lighting I am currently running two 20 watt aquaglow bulbs. I have added a new peice of artificial driftwood along with my previous artificial tree root, to create a center peice in the tank. I also put in a small clay flowerpot that is half burried along with a nice river rock wall that I glued together using the existing rock I had. It took almost 25 gallons to fill up the first time.

My current livestock consists of 3 chinese barbs, 4 glo light tetras, 1 false cory cat, 1 rubber lipped pleco. I plan on added 5 or 6 rasboras, and maybe 8 more glowlights to the tank. My chinese barbs are really my color center peice, but I love the scene of schooling tetras in the middle of the tank and the schooling of the rasboras at teh surface of the tank.

I was planning on going low light plants for now and already have some in mind. I am also in the process of building my own DIY CO2 system to add to the tank.

Here are my first test results, and would like some feed back on what I should do to get them more in line and ready for plants. I have downloaded chucks calculator and see that I need to raise some things before adding any plants.

Temp - 81
PH - 6.0
NO2 - 0 ppm
NO3 - 0 ppm
KH - 0 ppm
GH - 60 ppm
CO2 - 0 ppm

I use the water from culligan at meijers for my water changes.

I am still learning and researching what levels I should keep each at, in regards to each other as well as trying to maintain my PH and CO2 count. I welcome all suggestions on how to get my tank up to where it needs to be. Jon

What type of water are you getting from Culligan? I suspect that it is RO water and will need to be reconstituted with RO Right or a similar product.

With 0ppm of both Nitrites and Nitrates I suspect that your tank is probably cycling or your test kits are bad. Do you have a kit for Ammonia so that we can check this?

I'd recommend bringing down the actual measured temp to closer to 78 degrees as long as this won't be problematic for any of your fish.

What kind of lighting are you using over the tank?

Once these issues are addressed, we can evaluate what else needs to be done.

Back
Top Bottom