Tanner's Planted Perch Tank-new at this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callen

Aquarium Advice Freak
:fish2:I've had freshwater aquariums off and on throughout the years. Now I'm back at it again. My 9 year old, Tanner, absolutely loves this hobby! So we are working on a tank in his room.

A little story (skip it if you want to): We live in the country and my neighbor has a 2 acre stock tank. When we get a lot of rain it overflows and my boys go catch all of the fish that escape and return them to the tank. The spend hours building little dams and creating pools of water that will catch the escapees. This last time, they caught 2 small perch, a tiny bass, and 5-10 large minnows. We always have empty tanks in the garage, so we cleaned one out and into the house they came. Now, a month later, we have one perch survivor. He's a hearty guy! So far, Perchy has been just fine with a bubble stone and absolutely nothing else in the tank. We've been quite liberal with the water changes..using tap water and conditioner and he is no worse for the wear. Last week we bought some river rock/pebbles and fake plants and added them. We also added 2 goldfish and Perchy got rid of them overnight. We have dedided that Perchy is a loner for sure!

Tanner decided to build his tank so that it looks "natural, like where Perchy used to live."

Plan:
1. We will add the hood and filter, etc. to get Perchy a more healthy home. Got it, just need to do it tonight.
2. Add driftwood
3. Add live plants

Bought the driftwood and live plants yesterday. Have the wood soaking in the tub. I wasn't sure what to do with the plants, so I just dropped them in the tank for now.

Questions:
Q1: Anything special I need to do to really make this a planted tank? How do I help the plants take root and grow? Does the water need to be any different?

what are you using for substrate? substrate provides nutrients for the plants to grow. without a good substrate, the plants will suffer/die. Also in order for the plants to grow, light is very important. may i ask what kind of plants do you have and what's your light fixture? a picture of the current setup would be nice so that we have an idea of what we can work with.

I haven't had any luck uploading photos, but I'll give it another go.

I dont' think I have a substrate. Just the river rock (pebble to marble size) on bottom. What would I need to use?

I bought 2 anacharis plants
2 other plants that I cna't name off the top of my head

one moss ball-lady said I could tie it to the wood with fishing line and it would start to take hold and spread

She sold me a light that was specific to growing plants.

I think that's it!

Can you post the exact name of the light and the type bulb? Lighting determines the type of plants you can grow.

As for substrate what you have sounds a bit large for most plants. You can use Sand, small grained Gravel, or any commercial aquatic plant substrate such as Eco-complete.

Moss balls aren't for attaching to DW or rocks. Sadly fish store employee's often have no clue about planted tanks or even fish for that matter. It's always best to write down the name of plants you like and research before buying them as fish stores are also known for selling plants that aren't fully aquatic. A little research will save you some money and headaches.

The bulb is a flora-glo T8 15w freshwater plant growth aquarium bulb

The plants are anacharis and anubias. 2 of each plus the java moss ball.

What size tank is this? A single t8 is probably going to limit you to the ultra low light stuff like anubias, java ferns, and mosses.

You can roll out the moss ball and tie it to DW or a rock and it will attach in time and spread.

The bulb is a flora-glo T8 15w freshwater plant growth aquarium bulb

The plants are anacharis and anubias. 2 of each plus the java moss ball.

So it's java moss? Or is it a marimo moss ball? Anacharis and anubias should do ok with that lighting and I agree that the substrate is a bit on the large side. I usually use sand or small grained gravel and it works fine.

Can you post the exact name of the light and the type bulb? Lighting determines the type of plants you can grow.

As for substrate what you have sounds a bit large for most plants. You can use Sand, small grained Gravel, or any commercial aquatic plant substrate such as Eco-complete.

Can I add a substrate to the bottom then put some of my river rocks on top of it? Will the roots go around the rocks and find the substrate below?

Can I add a substrate to the bottom then put some of my river rocks on top of it? Will the roots go around the rocks and find the substrate below?

Why don't you add the proper substrate and then use some of your river rocks in the areas your not going to put plants in the substrate. Stem plants like you have don't do very well in large gravel.

Why don't you add the proper substrate and then use some of your river rocks in the areas your not going to put plants in the substrate. Stem plants like you have don't do very well in large gravel.

+1. That's a good idea. The river rocks can become decor. Then add sand/small grained gravel as the main substrate.

I have been soaking african root/drift wood for about a week now and the water is still a light brown. Do I need to keep replacing the water (in my tub) and soaking until it is no longer brown?

I have been soaking african root/drift wood for about a week now and the water is still a light brown. Do I need to keep replacing the water (in my tub) and soaking until it is no longer brown?

it's up to you. the tannin will continue to leak for the next months or so. keep in mind that tannin is not harmful to your tank, it's just visually unpleasing. the fish in their natural environment are dealing with tannin everyday without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom