Temporary Home for Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up an Eclipse 3 gallon system from the LFS as a temporary receiving tank for my cherrys that should be arriving tomorrow. Dropped in some laterate mixed with substrate from my larger tank, and filled with tank water from the larger tank. Also dropped in a piece of wood with java moss and java fern and a few pieces of anacharis....

All of this while I try and find a good home for my Clown Loaches and Rainbow shark... They just aren't working out for me anymore... last straw was learning that they have taken a taste for my nerites.

So anyways, this little setup is pretty slick, but the light is awful. I think it is a 9" T-5, maybe 6 watts? On 3 gallons, but I seem to remember discussion about a minimum lighting threshold, and can't imagine that I am anywhere near that. If things start to turn south, I will put it in a window that gets some partial sunlight...

Anyone else use one of these eclipse setups with simple plants?

**/EDIT/**

Found this link from a different thread: http://justanothertank.com/calcs.php

I have actually seen this before but didn't have it bookmarked. The spreadsheet at the bottom is very helpful. Shows my mini tank at just over 1 WPG per Tung... 3.5 WPG per T-12 Equivalent...

So is 1 WPG enough for anacharis, java moss and java ferns? Does this take Minimum Light Thresholds into account?

Sorry not having owned a 3 gallon Eclipse I didn't respond to your original post. Since edits don't bump threads, this is the first I've seen the additional information.

The calculation you found on czcz's site is very similar to Wizard~Of~Ozz's calculator. Both put you right at Low Light in the tank which should be enough to grow the plants you've selected. These calcs are ball park, especially on such small tanks, so you may be closer to very low light. Only time will tell for sure. Even then it's likely the plants will do okay, even if they don't exactly thrive.

I was happy to see czcz's calculator with a T5 option, which puts off a higher lumen count than T8. I seem to remember there being a low-light threshold, where you need a much higher quantity of light in small tanks, but I can't seem to find anything definitive on that.

I have noticed that chaning lighting conditions can effect the size and shape of its leaves. The Java Fern that I put in there was moved over from my larger tank, where it was all beat up from my clown loaches. It is just starting to sprout some new leaves and I hope this change in lighting doesn't hurt that process...

***/PIC/***

http://www.publiclogic.com/fish/DSC06375.JPG

Thanks for the input Purrbox.

You can almost certainly grow some moss, and some duckweed too. You mention some partial sunlight. With that the java ferns, and maybe even a crypt should be ok. Time will tell on the anacharis, but it may do fine as well.

I have one of those, without the lid. It has a UGF and a clip on 5w clip on CF light. The tank also gets some moring sun. It has a crypt. A ton of moss, duckweed. Also there is some Riccia mixed into the moss. The tank has Cherry shrimp, a school of baby angels, and a baby halfbeak in it.

Thanks Zezmo! Sounds like I may be able to pull this off...

Right now it does not get any sunlight, but I could set it near a window that gets filtered sunlight throughout the morning hours... I was worried that that might get me too much algae. I think I will see how things go as is for now, hearing that others have had some success with similiar setups... 3 weeks is I think the suggested adjustment time for plants... so unless they all start wilting before then, we will see where they are in 21 days.

I have the Eclipse 3 system also (actually I have 2 of them - my bettas love them); its been running for about 10 days so far. I have anubias and wisteria in them and both plants are surviving. I expect the anubia to be just fine - not sure on the wisteria but its certainly not browning (tho its not really growing either). Java fern will certainly do well - I have a java fern in a 2.5G tank that I'm using to house two female platies (waiting for the 20Gs to be set up and had to get them away from the males before I became overrun with fry). The little java fern is actually growing - and it gets nearly NO light - just ambient room light, which isn't even directly overhead !

I have an Eclipse Hex5 that comes with a 10W mini compact flourescent bulb. My Java moss, anubias nana petite, and java ferns are all surviving, but not quite growing either. The elodea, however, grew out of control. I think you'll be fine.

I added some Anabius and a healthier Java Fern:

DSC06456.JPG

Thanks for the feedback. Will see how this all hold up over the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom