Testing Kit for a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

30searay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the high tech set-up for a planted tank. I have always run a low tech tank with relatively good success. Can anyone provide a good source for the testing kits needed to test kH, gH, nitrates, phosphates, etc. as I have never tested for these before.

The Aquarium Pharmacuetical Master Fresh Water test kit will have most of the tests you need. You will need to by a seperate KH/GH kit and a phosphate kit. I use the AP KH kit as well. I find the seachem Phosphate kit to give better results than the AP one.

You will be better off buying all of this stuff online.

I'd recommend buying from BigAlsOnline.com, ThatPetPlace.com, or DrsFosterSmith.com. I've had pretty good luck with all three. In my experiance Big Als usually has the best prices but Drs Foster and Smith has had the best customer service. They all have slightly different product selection.

Both Hagen Nutrifin and Aquarium Pharmacuetical have reasonably good liquid test kits. Since they're hobby grade they aren't going to be 100% accurate and it is recommended that you calibrate them using a reference solution.

The Seachem Phosphate test kit has been reported to be nearly as good as the LaMotte kit, and at less than half the price I find much easier to use.

When it comes to testing your pH I've found that I really like the pen meters. You can get these fairly inexpensively through eBay. These have a much great range of values that you can test for and have a higher degree of accuracy than most test kits. After buying a couple of the liquid pH test kits you would already have one of these paid for.

Thank you for your help. I hope to get the tank up and running very soon. It will be a 110 gallon complete with pressurized CO2. I have been having difficulty getting the CO2 to work properly, but hope to sort out over the near term.

Back
Top Bottom