Thanks An-t-aisg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoovercat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Deb wanted some pics to prove I haven't killed her plants.

I'm still working out a diatom problem and green spot is pretty bad in my new 75 but the plants are still healthy overall. My wife said she'll go otto shopping tomorrow and I plan to up P significantly. I got my Magnum HOT fixed and running micron plus DE and have added a midweek 75% water change to speed things along.

Attachments

• image0001_106.jpg
    image0001_106.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image0003_150.jpg
    image0003_150.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image0005_643.jpg
    image0005_643.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 23
  • image0006_158.jpg
    image0006_158.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 17
  • image0011_936.jpg
    image0011_936.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 25
  • image0004_117.jpg
    image0004_117.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 28
Wow...are those "my" Pogostemon stellatus? Beautiful...I feel like a proud mom! (sniff) :)

In the first picture, I see some Bacopa caroliniana leaf shapes. Is there another plant growing in with it? It looks like maybe some Bacopa australis stems - they are more delicate and skinnier. The B. caroliniana stems are thicker and stay pretty straight, while the B. australis can get very twisty or curly if allowed to grow tall. I had a tall stem of B. australis intertwining around my Pogostemon stem. The B. australis grows many more side shoots than B. caroliniana.

The second pic of the Pogostemon stellatus is wonderful! Is that a stem of Rotala behind it to the left? It's nice and colorful too.

That is definitely Bacopa caroliniana behind the hygro in the third pic. The fourth pic really shows off the P. stellatus' colors. I see some B. australis over on the left.

Let me know how the Lobelia does for you. Mine grows rapidly, but the leaves are somewhat varigated (light green-dark green) in color. Maybe that's normal.

Edit (accidentally hit submit, lol)
The Hydrocotyle looks cute too! I knew you didn't kill the plants :wink: Thanks for letting me visit my "babies"! :)

P.S. You're welcome! :)

An t-iasg said:
Wow...are those "my" Pogostemon stellatus? Beautiful...I feel like a proud mom! (sniff) :)

Your Pogostemon stellatus?

I agree, the tank looks very nice.

Randy, Deb sent me the Pogostemon. Did she get it from you first?

Deb, I got the 2 bacopas confused and the post was maxed so the second pic I was wanting to add wouldn't fit. I got a Bacopa that looks like pic one from you but it isn't quite the same. Anyone know what looks almost identical to B. australis but the leaves are a bit thicker and the color is more green less yellow?

Once I get things more like I want them I'll do a shoot with the tank cleaned up. I didn't clean the green dust or the plant debris or the water spots on the glass last night so I feel these are "raw".

I got the Pogostemon stellatus from czcz - Joe - last July. I knew it would be too big for my 10 gallon tank but I couldn't resist! Joe sent me a very small, 2-inch little skinny side shoot. I put it in my 5 gallon tank. When started to get a little bigger (probably by October) I put it in my 10 gallon tank. That little tiny side shoot had split into 4 separate stems by then. They were fairly skinny, though. But by February, I realized that I could not keep these beautiful stems in a 10 gallon any longer. I sent three stems to Hoovercat - Bob - in March. I kept one for my tank. It's gorgeous but still a bit big for a 10 gallon.

I had originally thought that this plant was a Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata "Cuba". Joe wasn't sure either since it was so small. As it grew, it became apparent that it was indeed Pogostemon stellatus. Randy, you actually ID'd it for me, in that thread with P sounds - "Post Pogostemon Pictures Please". That was a fun thread - remember? :)

Bob, I'm really glad I sent you the plants when I did, in mid-March. We have not had a warm spell since. Our lows are still in the 30s at night. The whole month of April has been abnormally cold here. We lost our lilac blooms for the year.

About the Bacopas - I'm trying to remember what I sent you. I have Bacopa caroliniana, Bacopa monnieri, and Bacopa australis. I probably sent you Bacopa monnieri bottom cuttings and lots of B. australis. I did get the B. monnieri from Randy! The B. monnieri was one of my first plants, when I wasn't properly set up to have a planted tank, so it died back then. Randy sent me some so I could have my favorite plant again. (they are all my favorites!) The Bacopa monnieri may be what you can't quite identify, Bob. The leaves are kind of thick and the plant resembles the terrestrial jade plant. The leaf spread isn't as big as the B. caroliniana.

I know what you mean about the pics being raw. I haven't taken a pic of my tanks in a while because I feel they aren't picture worthy at the moment. But I think your tank is coming along great, and the pics are very nice! You have a great school of neons or cardinals. Those fish look nice in a planted tank.

An t-iasg said:
I got the Pogostemon stellatus from czcz - Joe - last July. :)

That figures. My P. stellatus came from Joe as well. I wonder how many people can trace that plant back to Joe? I know I have sent it to a couple of people already.

Deb, you didn't send any B. monnieri. I already have it and know it well. I'll have to pull a stem of each of the plants in question and take some good pics to get help in solving this mystery.

It's quite possible they're both B. australis and I'm just seeing the effect of different GH etc. between my tank and Deb's. The 2 samples are VERY similar.

rkilling1 said:
An t-iasg said:
I got the Pogostemon stellatus from czcz - Joe - last July. :)

That figures. My P. stellatus came from Joe as well. I wonder how many people can trace that plant back to Joe? I know I have sent it to a couple of people already.

What's that phrase -- "7 degrees of separation", lol!

Bob, I think you could be right about the Bacopa australis. Plant appearance varies a little due to different parameters, lighting, and dosing. The stems I gave you came from a tank that is low end of medium light, DIY CO2, with Eco Complete. I put some of my B. australis in my 10 gallon tank with a little bit higher light and pressurized CO2. It already looks a little different from the tank it was originally in.

Back
Top Bottom