The beginning of the CO2 mist system.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I haven't got the CO2 mist spraybar yet, but currently going to use my new powerheads to create my temporary mist system. To start, here's my list of ingredients:

2 Aquaclear 30 Powerheads
2 Aquaclear Quickfilters
2 Fine-bubble Airstones
4 90 degree elbows for CO2 line
4 1.5" pieces of CO2 tubing

Pic #1: Ingredients.
co2rig1.jpg

Pic #2: Made proper holes in Quickfilter to run 1 piece of tubing through.
co2rig2.jpg

Pic #3: Airstone and 1 90 degree elbow with tubing installed.
co2rig3.jpg

Pic #4: Quickfilter complete with 2 CO2 tubing pieces and 2 90 degree elbows.
co2rig4.jpg

Pic #5: Quickfilter attached to powerhead.
co2rig5.jpg

Pic #6: Both units complete.
co2rig6.jpg

Will add pics as I install in the tank. No time to do it now, will be a short bit before installing.

looks good. Those are some BIG pre filters. I was thinking about getting some of those.

FWIW, when you run CO2 thru the airstones that is going to put some back pressure on your CO2 system (the finer the airstone, the more back pressure you will have). You will notice that you will have to bump up the CO2 flow rate/pressure inorder to obtain the same BPS you did prior to running it without airstones. With this you will have more pressure in your CO2 lines, so you may want to make sure all your airline connections are not leaking. One more thing, if you do not have CO2 tubing, now would be the time to get some. With the added backpressure, running non-CO2 tubing, you will only lose more CO2 thru it.

PS. Could I cut the prefilter in half and still run it? or do you have to run the whole thing?

You'd have to run the whole thing. If you cut it in half, you won't be able to screw the bottom on.

As for the pressure, I won't need to do anything. Currently I'm running to Limewood airstones at the intake of my XP's and Maxijet 600's.

Lonewolfblue said:
You'd have to run the whole thing. If you cut it in half, you won't be able to screw the bottom on.
Bummer, I don't think I have room for that whole thing.

Lonewolfblue said:
As for the pressure, I won't need to do anything. Currently I'm running to Limewood airstones at the intake of my XP's and Maxijet 600's.

I have read that you run airstones and I see you listed, and see it in the pics, that you have CO2 tubing as well. I was just adding some info mostly for others who are going to try this.

Gonna be cool but gonna be huge! Glad it is going into a big tank. Should be easy to hide once you get it setup and the CO2 has your plants growing so fast your fish go on strike.

Looks like we got a good concept you have put it go use. Will be interesting to see how it effects your CO2 levels and how the plants react. Have you decided how big the holes wil be for the spraybar?

Actually, I haven't got the parts for the spraybar yet. I'm going to place the powerheads on both ends of the tank, and will either point them at an angle to the back or the front of the tank and down, so the current takes it under the plants, and have the mist sprayed under the plants. I also have 2 Rio 180's to place at the top back of the tank, pointed up and straight out, giving surface aggitation, as well as taking the rising CO2 mist and kick it back down the front of the tank back to the plants. I have one in my 29G like that, and it's doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom