The Flourite Fiasco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio35

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday I put flourite in my 55-gal tank. Of course, it's all muddy but slowly settling out. I planned on putting my Danios in to cycle the tank, but thought I'd better wait until the water is clear. My husband is chomping at the bit and wanting to put some fish in. I don't think it's a good idea, but he says that most fish normally live through murky times in the wild. I thought that was a good point. I refuse to put fish in if they go through unnecessary stress even if they are only $1 a piece. But, in reality, would the muddy water stress cycling fish - such as danios - out? BTW the parameters are fine.

Happy New Year!

As you have probably seen in various posts, flourite is a cloudy, murky mess. Since you've decided to cycle with the fish (as opposed to fishless cycling...much better), you can make a good choice now. For example, cycling with the Danio's won't guarantee that they will survive. So your concerns about the flourite killing them is the same as allowing the cycle to do it.

Maybe I need to read up on fishless cycling. I've only been in to this wonderful hobby since June. My 10-gal did well with fish cycling, but I don't want to kill ANY fish. That's my goal.

Gracias!

They should stress "RINSE RINSE RINSE" on the Flourite bags. Seems like you can rinse it for an hour and the bloody stuff still puts of muddy water!

Back
Top Bottom