The most common mistake beginners make is....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do plants hurt cycling? If the plants themselves "use" ammonia, does it make it harder for the BB to grow?

I mean, the fish are fine as long as the plants are alive, I assume, but we'd still need BB to be there...

Do plants hurt cycling? If the plants themselves "use" ammonia, does it make it harder for the BB to grow?

I mean, the fish are fine as long as the plants are alive, I assume, but we'd still need BB to be there...

Plants can make Cycling go faster and better for the fish IME. Some will even "silent " cycle if you are heavily planted. The plants provide even more surface for BB to grow I think (?).

More live plants is always the ANSWER ! [emoji6]
IMG_0297.jpg

Once you plant heavy. ADD MORE. I think they definitely help a tanks stability and overall success.

I made the mistake of too much light(2 32 watt T-8 lamps running 4x overdrive)over a 55 when I moved from a 10. I forgot to up the ferts and co2, and algae ensued. It's been several months, and I've almost got everything sorted out.
I'm only having to pull excess algae every 2 weeks now, instead of 2 -3 times a week. Next step, add some more ottos(they are fun to watch) and possibly some cherry shrimp (I've wanted to try them again, my last ones didn't survive a heater failure and the water got too cool for them).

P.S. Low tech planted(anubias nana and crypr wendtii) with a timer can be a solution to weekly water changes as well. They used to allow me to do the changes once a month, and never had algae issues or water quality issues.

Which plants are "true" aquatics? I read a lot that most plants sold for aquariums don't really prefer being submerged all the time.

Which plants are "true" aquatics? I read a lot that most plants sold for aquariums don't really prefer being submerged all the time.

That list is a long one. When getting a new plant, I just look it up online to verify if it's a true aquatic, or you could go to a good LFS with knowledgeable staff(which is my preferred route).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom