The Resilience of Brush Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DSenn

Aquarium Advice Activist
This stuff is simply unbelievable.

I had a plant tank a few years ago, and picked up some brush algae off some plants I bought. Of course it got everywhere, and I took down my tank because it simply got everywhere.

Anywho, it got all over my driftwood. When I took the driftwood out, the brush algae became matted down as it dried out and basically glued itself to the surface. Recently, I thought of using a wire brush to scrape off the 'dead,' dried algae, and it worked. All visible algae was removed.

I put the driftwood in a holding tank filled with water and NO light. Guess what??! The ALGAE CAME BACK!!!!!

I took it out, used the wire brush again, and put it back in the tank. Guess what??!

I see this as becoming a recurring theme for me. SO..has anyone had brush algae and GOTTEN RID OF IT? Or should I just chuck my driftwood and give up?

Thanks

Sounds like there is a problem in your aquarium that needs to be addressed. BBA won't spread unless the water conditions are condusive to it. Of course once the root cause is cured, it generally just stops spreading but what's already present tends to stick around.

Purrbox-

Lingering is one thing, but keeping it DRY, one would assume, would kill the algae. Not only was it left out dry for 3 years, it was scrapped with a wire brush twice and then put into a tank with no light source, and STILL came back!! That is impressive.

Nope. Drying it out won't necessarily kill it. I've seen/heard of that happening with other algae than just BBA. Even more insulting is when your algae starts pearling.

Back
Top Bottom