The tree in my fishtank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a decent sized cutting of what I think is Hygrophila salicifolia (willow leaf hygro) from a grab bag on Aquabid....planted it, it grew slowly at first, then faster and faster until I pulled out this monster tree from the tank yesterday! It is a gorgeous plant, long light green leaves that loosely spiral upward. The uppermost leaves were at the water surface and are slightly reddish. I took the pictures in my kitchen sink....the root ball was so enormous I had to post the pictures!

P1010066.JPG

P1010067.JPG

Here's the trimmed remnant back in the tank....it's behind the red lotus

P1010071.JPG

Your tank is looking great. FWIW, I have a similar plant and it was given to me as H. corymbosa "Angustifolia." Mine has not shown reds though and is in a ~med light tank. I think Zezmo grows it as well and has the same name for it. HTH

lol here is another example of what hrygro can do to you un watched. came home after being away for a few days to this. the root system is unexplainable huge. both those plants above water and the reder one below water are all coming from onw stem. there are also 3 or 4 more plants growing out the side. sorry for the bad pics but i thought this would be agood thread to post these in lol.
img_658700_0_173a1078df6bfe40a65b04229713e813.jpg

img_658700_1_c9051f732a3c4a90d0b4d8d923e66040.jpg

That is awesome. That's H. polysperma?

u can see polysperma rosenervig in the bottom left of the first pic but this is not that. i am not sure what species it is. i bought it as giant hygro. not sure of the technical name. i have one that is the entire height of my 55 and still growing. it is more red underwater but above water it spreads multiple side shoots. it does this under water to but not as much. i think i need to trim it lol.

Excellent!

What kind of lighting do you have on your tank? (Company?)

Looks really good!

what kind of lights do you run new found?that looks like one healthy plant. i have a DIY hood that i made that i can run up to 80 watts of t-8 lights. i am currently only running 60 since that puts me above 4 wpg with the conversion.

I have 2 96 watt PCs, which gives me just under 4 wpg. I bought my tank on Ebay, it was set up as a SW tank, so the hood has space for 4 96 watt bulbs.....yikes....thought that would be a little too much! 2 65 watt bulbs or 1 65 and 1 96 would be perfect, I think, but that would involve new end fittings and a new ballast. If I get tired of trimming I may switch one bulb to a 50/50 to cut down the available watts.

Back
Top Bottom