TheresaM's first tank build thread: Spec 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like I'll have someone picking up the CPDs this weekend (y)

I'm considering adding a piece of manzanita wood; I like the branchy look as opposed to mopani or malaysian.

Adding the clown killies is a no. At the time I hadn't thought about the fact that there's a 14" x 3" opening in the lid. I like my dwarf amber barbs but I'd literally need a couple dozen to see them in a 5g; trying to stay away from the chili/phoenix/pygmy group of rasboras. Basically no known jumpers, something that isn't crazy larger than the badis when full grown, and hopefully won't eat adult RCS.

Last edited:
Ember tetras? Jellybean tetras?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good to know the dwarf Amber barbs are that small. I have that 5.5 and am debating keeping just the blue neos or adding some sort of fish. I was leaning towards no fish but maybe I will get a handful!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good to know the dwarf Amber barbs are that small. I have that 5.5 and am debating keeping just the blue neos or adding some sort of fish. I was leaning towards no fish but maybe I will get a handful!

Oh, they are definitely tiny! Got this shot yesterday with some of the RCS:

img_3196022_0_c95317d6639419fa759807c98c42ee7e.jpg

Ember tetras? Jellybean tetras?

I think I'm going to push the limits of my old-person eyesight and go with boraras micros. Because hey, I can't have the same type of fish in two different tanks, right? :hide:

Going to decide on and order the rocks tonight.

I think I'm going to push the limits of my old-person eyesight and go with boraras micros. Because hey, I can't have the same type of fish in two different tanks, right? :hide:

Going to decide on and order the rocks tonight.

Just get a hugeeee magnifying glass:D I'm googling now!

Tagging in, unfortunately I can't see your rock choices from work, so will try and remember to look again this evening. Just so you are aware in regards to your comment about dust, the ADA soil has a good bit of that as well. In regards to fish, have you considered any of the gobies, like a variety of the White-cheeked goby? Might be something different, and they would do well in a tank that size - although some are recommended for 10 gallons minimum.

Tagging in, unfortunately I can't see your rock choices from work, so will try and remember to look again this evening. Just so you are aware in regards to your comment about dust, the ADA soil has a good bit of that as well. In regards to fish, have you considered any of the gobies, like a variety of the White-cheeked goby? Might be something different, and they would do well in a tank that size - although some are recommended for 10 gallons minimum.

Oh, another trouble maker with the new fish suggestions ;) I actually considered a blue neon goby but I'm hoping the badis will spawn.

I'm doing some changes in the 16g so I ended up ordering these two lots of rocks. Looks like 16 total so that gives me something to work with for both tanks.

img_3196738_0_db13d36ad7ac83db0881ac4adfeb3fcd.jpg

Also waiting for a shipping quote on this piece of wood. Way too large for the Spec but I definitely have other tanks that pieces could go into.

img_3196738_1_9f2acda4c98c77754df9f39000537820.jpg

CPDs have left the house! Put a mineral ball in the tank as well as some IAL and alder cones. Going to add a nerite, a few MTS, some scuds and RCS to get them established for a bit. Also put in a few misc plants here & there to get an idea of what I want to do eventually. Getting a bit more excited about this project now :flowers:

Last edited:
Oh, another trouble maker with the new fish suggestions ;) I actually considered a blue neon goby but I'm hoping the badis will spawn.

I'm doing some changes in the 16g so I ended up ordering these two lots of rocks. Looks like 16 total so that gives me something to work with for both tanks.

img_3196910_0_db13d36ad7ac83db0881ac4adfeb3fcd.jpg

Also waiting for a shipping quote on this piece of wood. Way too large for the Spec but I definitely have other tanks that pieces could go into.

img_3196910_1_9f2acda4c98c77754df9f39000537820.jpg

LOL, not much I enjoy more than stirring up a bit of trouble ;). Make sure you check that 2nd set of rocks for reactivity, even though they are called "creek rocks" they look like they may have some limestone in them - they may not, I have some that are similar that don't, but never hurts to double check. They will make an interesting choice against dark colored substrate. the driftwood looks like an interesting piece. I've found that I like ones that have a bit more of a three dimensional aspect too them - ie. branches going in multiple directions instead of only two, gives you more options for creating root-like or tree-like structures. Of course you can accomplish the same thing by using multiple pieces, but it is nicer when you only have to use one.

LOL, not much I enjoy more than stirring up a bit of trouble ;). Make sure you check that 2nd set of rocks for reactivity, even though they are called "creek rocks" they look like they may have some limestone in them - they may not, I have some that are similar that don't, but never hurts to double check. They will make an interesting choice against dark colored substrate. the driftwood looks like an interesting piece. I've found that I like ones that have a bit more of a three dimensional aspect too them - ie. branches going in multiple directions instead of only two, gives you more options for creating root-like or tree-like structures. Of course you can accomplish the same thing by using multiple pieces, but it is nicer when you only have to use one.

How do I test the rocks? And thanks, I thought the light and dark would look good too, especially with the badis coloring.

You can splash a little vinegar on there and if it fizzes after a bit it's going to alter your water chemistry.

You can also place them in some DI water and let it sit overnight (or longer). Do a baseline and post test on pH/GH/KH. Test DI water by itself as a control.

You can splash a little vinegar on there and if it fizzes after a bit it's going to alter your water chemistry.

You can also place them in some DI water and let it sit overnight (or longer). Do a baseline and post test on pH/GH/KH. Test DI water by itself as a control.

(y)

I like that! Way more scientific and definitive. A weeks soak time couldn't hurt??

Ummm, no...just no. My daughter is the chem major, not me :whistle:

I'm without a car this weekend, not sure when the rocks will arrive. Sooooo-and no laughing or eye rolling-would apple cider vinegar work or no? :hide:

Ummm, no...just no. My daughter is the chem major, not me :whistle:

I'm without a car this weekend, not sure when the rocks will arrive. Sooooo-and no laughing or eye rolling-would apple cider vinegar work or no? :hide:

LOL, you telling us that you don't own an API chemical test kit *GASP* :ROFLMAO:. Since apple cider vinegar is typically stronger than white vinegar, it will work fine for the test, just be sure and rinse the rocks really well before actually placing them in an aquarium.

LOL, you telling us that you don't own an API chemical test kit *GASP* :ROFLMAO:. Since apple cider vinegar is typically stronger than white vinegar, it will work fine for the test, just be sure and rinse the rocks really well before actually placing them in an aquarium.

Another comedian :rolleyes:

The rocks haven't shipped yet but if the ACV will work I'll just use that.

Two nerites, some MTS, and 10 or so RCS went in, including a berried girl I accidentally caught. She's still holding the eggs though!

Moved the tank perpendicular to the wall; it's different but I like the look. Will make aquascaping a challenge, as if that isn't challenging enough for me. As of now I'm going to leave the EC as it is, kind of with hills and valleys.

Tossing around ideas about plants. Dark substrate, very light colored rocks, red fish and shrimp so I'm thinking all green, no reds. I want to use Hygroryza aristata as a floater. I got a few stems from Han and it sends out nice, long runners and roots. I like that look, the micro rasboras would probably appreciate it being there too.

I've ruled out vals, crypts, and moneywort just because. I'd like to do a cluster of dwarf sag and most likely most this cave from the current badis tank. The moss has been doing so well and it's a good place for fish or shrimp fry.

img_3197408_0_ce2e3114e6012e6e7abddf3a720e435f.jpg

In terms of plants I don't do CO2, just osmocote tabs, Comp, Leaf Zone, and Excel. I currently running the light that came with the tank plus it gets a decent but not crazy amount of indirect late afternoon sun. I'm hoping that tax refund might equal one of those fancy Finnex lights all you plant pros chat about :flowers:

Really like the RCS against the dark substrate!

img_3197408_1_1fce28e2464cd4b525b179155a04e070.jpg

The rocks arrived: scrubbed, boiled, and passed the vinegar test! There are quite a few to work with and I really like the color: light but not glaringly white.
Even without fish there's a lot of activity in the tank between the shrimp and scuds. Still waiting on the manzanita before I can do anything else other than check out better lights on Amazon :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom