TheresaM's live bowl project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The scuds arrived today! They're in a temporary holding container until I open the EC and start working on the .5g later today. Really fascinating to watch!

Woah, those are interesting. Does your betta eat them? They look maybe too big for Endlers to eat, but it's hard to tell...

Woah, those are interesting. Does your betta eat them? They look maybe too big for Endlers to eat, but it's hard to tell...

They really are fascinating! This is quickly escalating into a 'too cute to use as food' situation :whistle:

Seriously, I'm sure the betta would have no problem with them, female Endlers too.

I think I'm going to set them up in a few containers and see if they'll start multiplying. Between everything else going on today I've been doing a lot of reading and they're quite easy to care for.

Oh I don't know, a mere pipe dream at this point. I'd love to do a stemmed apothecary jar with plants and maybe a couple baby snails.

Something like http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m56VpBRemwhzNKKYvoOg5vQ.jpg

I'll do a thread if I ever make it a reality. Can't wait for pics of yours in progress!

I've posted this a few times, don't know if you've seen it but there's a lot of inspiration here: LIST: low tech, mini, nano, pico planted tanks: ---> 50+ <--- examples

I put less than half of a mini algae wafer in one of the containers:

img_3191488_0_34bda02b4209a94b87d7c9ddc34fac46.jpg

Dropped a couple in with my betta, after some confusion on his part he got them. Put a dropper full in the badis tank and they went crazy!

What are scuds exactly? I have a bucket outside my window which has everything growing in it. There's so man bugs in it though I don't know whether they're safe to feed or not. There is mosquito larvae and bloodworms in there which my fish do love though.

What are scuds exactly? I have a bucket outside my window which has everything growing in it. There's so man bugs in it though I don't know whether they're safe to feed or not. There is mosquito larvae and bloodworms in there which my fish do love though.

What I've learned is that they are a amphopod crustacean: Hyalella azteca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Here's a link to where I bought them, a bit less scientific than the Wiki article: LIVE SCUDS ‘Hyalella azteca’ QTY (50) with FREE SHIPPING | LIVEFINS

Nice, I'll be tagging along with this one as well. Enjoy these types of tanks a lot, as they typically end up being more "natural" in my opinion than the typical fish tank. I've found SACHS to be a good source as well; Amphipods (hyallela azteca) for sale at Sachs Systems Aquaculture

Many "bugs" should not be fed to aquarium fish, things like water boatmen, backswimmers, water striders, etc. which are often found in buckets and/or outdoor pools are best not fed. Most are too big for typical aquarium fish to handle, and some such as predacious diving beetles and their larvae, giant water bugs, dragonflies and damselflies can in fact harm fish or other invertebrates in the aquarium.

Nice, I'll be tagging along with this one as well. Enjoy these types of tanks a lot, as they typically end up being more "natural" in my opinion than the typical fish tank. I've found SACHS to be a good source as well; Amphipods (hyallela azteca) for sale at Sachs Systems Aquaculture

Many "bugs" should not be fed to aquarium fish, things like water boatmen, backswimmers, water striders, etc. which are often found in buckets and/or outdoor pools are best not fed. Most are too big for typical aquarium fish to handle, and some such as predacious diving beetles and their larvae, giant water bugs, dragonflies and damselflies can in fact harm fish or other invertebrates in the aquarium.

I know. I've been more careful with what I give them only feeding mozzie larvae.

This photo just texted to me, some water samples being collected today!

img_3197821_0_1c812957e3786b59fb5b7a682335bf1f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom