Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Think twice before purchasing gel-stored plants

Hello everyone,

I've been gone for a while due to family/work but came across this article the other day. I think it is potentially very important for those of us with planted tanks that purchased the gel-stored plants at major retailers such as PetSmart.

Give this article a peek if you have time:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%2...gels%20too.pdf

HTH

Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Atl300zx
Besides the negatives of the gels, 90% of the time they arent true aquatic plants, they are overpriced, and even the ones that are aquatic arent very healthy when purchased.

All in All....boycott purchasing these plants in hopes that they will go away.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't bother bringing up the fact that so few are true aquatics, and in debatable health (since there have been several threads about it).

I'm MUCH more concerned that we have our ARMS in the tank and are breathing in the water vapor that may be potentially harmful. [8O]
Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i only remember seeing those gel based plants at our Petco. I talked to the Asst. Manager of our store and told her that they shouldn't be in a tank or even be sold since most are not aquatic. People who don't know house plants think they are getting an aquatic plant and the store is making the money on the sale. Then when the plant doesn't grow they think it is their problem and most will go back and buy again. I think the stores head executives should be emailed and a complaint made by all.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanv
i only remember seeing those gel based plants at our Petco. I talked to the Asst. Manager of our store and told her that they shouldn't be in a tank or even be sold since most are not aquatic. People who don't know house plants think they are getting an aquatic plant and the store is making the money on the sale. Then when the plant doesn't grow they think it is their problem and most will go back and buy again. I think the stores head executives should be emailed and a complaint made by all.
Again this thread was not created to discuss the merits of the plants themselves, but rather the potential health hazards from the gel used to store the plants. I don't want someone to see this thread and just think we're bashing the non-aquatics, rather they need to understand the possible heath issues.

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com