Think twice before purchasing gel-stored plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Besides the negatives of the gels, 90% of the time they arent true aquatic plants, they are overpriced, and even the ones that are aquatic arent very healthy when purchased.

All in All....boycott purchasing these plants in hopes that they will go away.

I didn't bother bringing up the fact that so few are true aquatics, and in debatable health (since there have been several threads about it).

I'm MUCH more concerned that we have our ARMS in the tank and are breathing in the water vapor that may be potentially harmful. [8O]

i only remember seeing those gel based plants at our Petco. I talked to the Asst. Manager of our store and told her that they shouldn't be in a tank or even be sold since most are not aquatic. People who don't know house plants think they are getting an aquatic plant and the store is making the money on the sale. Then when the plant doesn't grow they think it is their problem and most will go back and buy again. I think the stores head executives should be emailed and a complaint made by all.

dvanv said:
i only remember seeing those gel based plants at our Petco. I talked to the Asst. Manager of our store and told her that they shouldn't be in a tank or even be sold since most are not aquatic. People who don't know house plants think they are getting an aquatic plant and the store is making the money on the sale. Then when the plant doesn't grow they think it is their problem and most will go back and buy again. I think the stores head executives should be emailed and a complaint made by all.

Again this thread was not created to discuss the merits of the plants themselves, but rather the potential health hazards from the gel used to store the plants. I don't want someone to see this thread and just think we're bashing the non-aquatics, rather they need to understand the possible heath issues.

Back
Top Bottom