Thinking about ordering a Co2 System, just double checking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jestes

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been thinking about ordering a Co2 system for a while now. I've done a bunch of research, but I just want to double check before I drop some money. So, could everyone please double check my understanding?

So, it seems like everyone likes the Milwaukee regulator: $88 - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Free Priority Shipping!

After that, I'll need a check valve, tubing, tank, and a diffuser/reactor. In the interest of saving some money, I'd like to hold off on the PH controller for right now. So, I can adjust the flow rate using the regulator to hit my target Co2 concentration. Not quite as accurate, but still a relatively stable way of adding Co2 so long as I sneak up on it.

I've got one of three options for nighttime. I can either hook up the solenoid to a timer and shut it off at night, hook up an air pump/airstone and leave the regulator running, or don't worry about it and let it run 24/7.

Am I correct on all of this? The only thing I don't want to do is have large Ph swings and stress my fish. Also, this will be in a bedroom. Is Co2 a bad idea then? I thought about getting an alarm for an RV, but all of those are for carbon monoxide...

Thanks!

You're correct on it all, yes. I've used that regulator for years with no troubles - without a pH controller, so that's not a problem.

I do have the solenoid (that comes with that unit) on a timer to turn it off at night. Timers are cheap, I'd recommend you go that route. Set it to turn on 1 hour before your lights do and turn off at the same time as the lights.

ame one I use as well. 1st time user... wasnt easy to get it tine tuned... but once I did... I havent touched it in a week and probably wont for at leat 6 months :D

The only thing I don't want to do is have large Ph swings and stress my fish.

I cannot recall ever reading a post/article on stess related to pH swings due to CO2.

pH swings due to changes in buffering are stressful, but people routinely cycle their pH with CO2 without any harm.

All good to hear guys! Thanks! The only question I have left, is what does everyone think about having a tank with CO2 in a bedroom? I can make an argument either way, that's why I'm asking.

Having CO2 shouldn't swing your decision about having a tank in your bedroom. If you want it in there, go for it!

Yeah, I just wasnt sure if anybody had any horror stories of a regulator leaking out of th blue. The aquarium is already in my bedroom now. I got my dry ferts in yesterday, so I think the co2 system is going to be next. :)

If you do get a leak, you'll either be able to hear it, or it won't be fast enough to hurt anything. I wouldn't be worried.

I had my CO2 cylinder in my bedroom for several years without issue. Even had a bad seal the first time I hooked it up and emptied it in less than a week. Other than having to refill the thing too early, no real problems even with it in the bedroom.

I agree - if you're really worried about leaks, make sure when you're assembling things the first time that you use teflon tape on the threads and don't over-tighten (one light torque with a wrench should do it, especially if you're using gaskets). And once it's all set up, do a soap-bubble test. I'm getting ready to set up my first pressurized CO2 system, but I've been using the same regulator and bottle in a keg setup for years. Once you get the hang of it, CO2 systems are fun.

Thanks everyone! I know at only 2 wpg CO2 might be a little overkill, but the way everything but the anacharis responded to the Excel, I'm convinced they need some type of CO2 supplementation. While on the doubled up Excel, one of my vals was starting a new runner every 3 days or so. Now that I'm back on the regular dosing schedule, it's sending a new runner about every 10 days.

Well I'm a fan of low pressure regulators (an additional attachment) to prevent tank dumps and better at fine-tuning the bubble rate, but many people go without. Also use a timer. I use to have a fancy setup with CO2 coming on before lights on and after lights off and got annoyed after a while where they were losing their proper sequence. Also after checking how quickly the CO2 gets into the water I've just switched to a single timer that turns the tank lights and CO2 on at the same time. One less timer, and I never have to worry about them improperly working (also saves ~10% CO2). Also unless you are in a sealed bedroom (ie no crack under the door) there is no risk of suffocation, and even then only if the tank dumps and you'd know it because it is LOUD.

Oh and teflon tape EVERYTHING. Especially the main connection to the bottle. Tightening the valve is an art form. Too little and you get leaks, too much and you crush the compression wafer and can have leaks days, even weeks later. Once you get the hang of it (just check with soapy water a couple times and listen closely for leaks) it's like a dream come true. My 5lb lasts ~6months on my 20 gallon and refills are only ~$15. You'd easily spend that in DIY/Excel in much shorter time. Upfront costs are high obviously but every tank refill starts to drop the per day cost.

Goodluck and I'm sure you'll love it.

I highly suggest purchasing a $5 permaseal and not using the cheap nylon washers. The Permaseal makes a great seal and is reuseable hundreds of times over and I've never had a leak with one. Tighten the valve as tight as you can with a godo wrench and spray it with a little soapy water if your worried it might have a leak or not tight enough.

I use a custom built Smith regulator that has dual valve seats and it only allows a .004 lb per 100 psi increase which mean no EOTD. Similar to using a Dual Stage Victor or Matheson regulator.

Pressurized is the way to go.

Craig

Good point with the permaseal. My wife tends to get my tank refilled when I'm at work (and as mentioned I only have to fill twice a year) but I've been meaning to ask if they have these at the CO2 fill place. I'm just not keen on ordering one off the net where the shipping would be more than the part!

I agree about the permaseal. I had a horrible time getting a good seal with inexpensive washers. Once I switched over to the permaseals, I've always been able to get a good seal with ease.

Thanks guys! All good things to know. Has anyone had any experience with putting the CO2 tubing into the inlet on a canister filter? I'd like as few hardware items in the tank as possible, just so it will have a nice clean look to it.

Back
Top Bottom