Thinking of going planted need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok here I go for my 29 gallon I want to change my 4watt marineland hood to a T5 HO 2x24w fixture and I have a few questions;
1- What is the best combonation for viewing fish and growing plants, like 6500k 10000k 5000k I plan on buying a zoo med fixture
2- What plants would I be able to get on that setup would I have high lighting or low?
3- Would I change the substrate from pebble like gravel to a made for plants substrate
Any help is appreciated I don't plan on spending more than 200 fixture 100 bulbs 20 each so substrate up to 50$ Let me know what you think
Troy

Well, funny you ask because I basically asked the same about bulbs earlier, no one has responded yet though.

1...the combination I currently used and have used in the past was one daylight(6500k) and a floramax bulb..I did notice on the floramax bulb though that the light range went to crap very quickly(6 month+-) and I started having an algae problem so I ended up buying a higher end german made bulb from dr foster and smiths and it is working out perfectly.

2...I would consider it to be low-medium light with 1.6wpg. You can grow lots of stuff but no carpet plants really...I would think most vals would be a great place to start.

3...I would change the substrate or blend in some. Take out some of your existing substrate(1/4-1/2) and mix in like eco complete. Changing to much substrate at once could shcok your system though due to too much BB being removed.

Alright that makes sense and I've heard the floramax doesn't last so I might buy a higher quality one in 6 months and thank you for all the great advice :) just wondering if the bulbs are going to heat my tank?

Even if you buy the most expensive substrate there is, it will still run out of what little good stuff it has. Lol. I have plain ole gravel and just use root tabs. Works well. My friend is the same, but with sand. But go for the plant substrate if you want, it could work well for you

Ok here I go for my 29 gallon I want to change my 4watt marineland hood to a T5 HO 2x24w fixture and I have a few questions;
1- What is the best combonation for viewing fish and growing plants, like 6500k 10000k 5000k I plan on buying a zoo med fixture
2- What plants would I be able to get on that setup would I have high lighting or low?
3- Would I change the substrate from pebble like gravel to a made for plants substrate
Any help is appreciated I don't plan on spending more than 200 fixture 100 bulbs 20 each so substrate up to 50$ Let me know what you think
Troy

1- Go with a 6500k and a Floramax / Colormax bulb. This combo gives you the right amount of light for plants and color enhancement.

2- 2 x 24W T5's may put you on a higher end of light ... the watt per gallon rule goes out the window with T5's. See the link below which has charts that I feel will better help you. In specific the second chart showing light intensity and fixture height ... I feel it's a good start, but even factors like the quality of the reflectors will also play a role in the amount of light the plants would get.

3- You could change to an eco-complete which does benefit plants, but gravel for most lower plants does fine. You could even add some sand with the gravel ... the sand will eventually fall into the gravel and give the roots something to better anchor to. Root tabs and liquid ferts will still be needed with our without plant specific substrate. BTW ... Sand looks so much nicer than gravel! ... IMO.

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

DO you think I could grow amazon swords with this light? And also what liquid fertilizer do you recommend?

With 2 T5bulbs, I'd say you'll have more than sufficient lights for Amazon Swords. The question is will you need to dose CO2 to prevent algae if the light intensity turns out to be really high. If you follow the charts, it'll depend on the height of the bulbs over the substrate and quality of the reflectors. Hopefully someone with more T5 experience can provide you with more info.

I have a single 32 watt T8 Floramax bulb that's well over a year old (inherited it with the tank) and my swords are holding their own. Not growing .. much ...but not dying either, root tabs seem to be really helping them. I'm looking to do Marineland Double Bright LED's. For low-light plants like mine I've read it seems to do the job.

I use seachem comprehensive and seachem root tabs (need them for swords!)

Thanks for the advise :) I'm thinking of switching to sand and I'm wondering where to find pool filter sand? Also how can I prevent the sand from going in my filter intake tube and damaging it? Maybe a sponge over the end? Lemme know :)

Thanks for the advise :) I'm thinking of switching to sand and I'm wondering where to find pool filter sand? Also how can I prevent the sand from going in my filter intake tube and damaging it? Maybe a sponge over the end? Lemme know :)

PFS you can find at any pool supply store ... it's actually coarse enough to not get sucked up in filter intakes ... unless you've got some insane filter that's ridiculously strong like a vacuum. It's play sand that's usually finer, clouds up easier and can get sucked up filter intakes. I've yet to have any sand get sucked up my Fluval 404's intake. A sponge over the intake can also help.

Thanks for all the help :) last question I promise ;) what's the best way of going about switching from gravel to sand

Here's a thread where someone listed steps for switching substrate. I just added sand onto the gravel. I like the mixed look, but there are spots were the sand has completely sunk into the gravel so I have to add more sand.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/seeing-everyone-discussing-sand-197015.html

BTW ... I'd just stick with the PFS any other all purpose sand may be a bit smaller so it could cloud up easier.

Back
Top Bottom