Thinking of making a jungle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yuchen375

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

I recently been thinking of making a jungle tank with easy to grow plants, I know like java moss grows pretty easily with woods and stuff. However, I am very inexperience at this field. I have tried to do a planted tank but it did not turn out to good. So i was thinking maybe i could do some mess plants that are easy to grow for my shrimps would be very lovely. If you guys have any pictures or guides, that would help me a ton!

Thank you so much!!!!
mucho loves :D

Tank is about 20G

Java fern, anubias, and bucephalandra species are supposedly indestructible.

Valisneria are relatively easy I hear. Swords (echinodorus species), specifically amazon sword and pygmy chain sword, are easy.

Almost all cryptocoryne species are very easy.

Ludwigia repens, hygrophila polysperma, hornwort, water wisteria, bacopa, and elodea are all relatively easy.

I have a fairly jungle like tank. It has Java Fern, Java Moss and and assortment of crypts and dwarf swords. The crypts and swords are heavy root feeders and need root tabs and the fern and moss feed from the water so they need liquid feed. Once they're established you should be pulling out handfuls at a time to control it. My shrimp and tetras love the environment.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444770119.733483.jpg

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

MGOPS, pressurized co2, ei dosing, 8-10hr high light a day. :D

Hygro's. Several varieties, grow like weeds once established in your tank.

Thank you Fish Person.

This is the tank. It's since been broken down. I'm just getting back into the hobby.

img_3292629_0_e4bb6e04262364d89b2a8726789f45c6.jpg

Haha, couldn't resist. Above was after weeks of not trimming.

Below was where I like to kept the tank. At this stage, only an oto or two and shrimp occupied the tank.

img_3292629_1_9beeb1604a67fc0cd1ff13cec8566887.jpg

Here's my 10 gal shrimp tank "jungle" and this was back 2 months ago. I recently just took out probably 50 spiral vals. It was so thick I couldn't see through the tank or any of my shrimp. Once I thinned it I was amazed at how many baby shrimplets were in there!

98885-albums14436-picture69329.jpg

I have baby amazon swords, spiral vals, dwarf sag., couple of different stem plants I can't remember the name of, couple small java ferns, java moss, 4 different types of floaters, another moss I can't remember the name off, and probably others I don't even remember. I put it all in there thinking I'd thin out whatever didn't grow well and it ALL grows well but some faster than others. I use DIY root tabs, EI dosing usually twice a week and it sits in front of a window that gets morning sun. Sponge filter and heater and that's it! Very easy! I do have some green hair algae growing but that is probably from the real sunlight. My plants actually pearl on nice sunny mornings with no CO2 other than than what my sponge filter provides. I love it but it does get a little out of hand. Wish I had remembered to take a picture before I thinned out the spiral vals. I couldn't even see through the tank!

This is a standard 10g: hob filter, heater, fluorescent light, and some indirect sunlight. Gravel substrate. Lots of jungle vals, a few dwarf sag, and dwarf water lettuce:

img_3292897_0_8b1ce4d4611afc1784d200061a33c1b4.jpg

Another 10g, no tech, sand substrate. Jungle vals, dwarf sag, flame moss, baby tears, water sprite, duckweed. Ends up needing a trim every couple of weeks. Before:

img_3292897_1_6ce2eaa2e8d2de40f90dee80c6e12ac4.jpg

After trim:

img_3292897_2_b8d25cac5d5301de35d4620afd3e5c7d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom