This Topsoil Ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StevesPrettyCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, after much research I have decided to take the topsoil route under my sand for my roots to grab onto. I have read info on mineralizing the soil and I'm ready to get started. Just wanted to check my soil selection with everyone before I get started. Theres a lot of ingredients. It says...

This product is regionally formulated from organic and inorganic materials derived from one our more of the following: Peat, Forest Products, Compost, Ash, Sand or native topsoil.

I haven't opened the bag yet in case I gotta return it. Whatcha think?

I use the cheapest possible topsoil in the store, the brand varies by region it seems like. I don't get the stuff that advertises that it is mixed with peat, but it sounds like the kind you have is just kind of a mashup of a lot of stuff.

It doesn't look like it has any synthetic ferts or anything in it, and if you go along with the mineralized topsoil instructions you will be screening out the large particles anyway, so I would say it's probably fine.

You might try sift it through a screen first to get any twigs or other organic stuff that might be in it.

Back
Top Bottom