Thought on this setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctachiera

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking for a reasonably affordable hi-tech setup. Any thoughts on this combination?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453091157.482730.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do not get the 88g CO2 Kit. That is designed for small, non-refillable CO2 capsules. It cannot be put on a timer and will not work with the canister and adapter you have listed.
For about $15 more you can get a full size regulator (AquaTek or Milwaukee) to use with the paintball adaptor and paintball tank.
Other items you will need include:
Bubble counter
Check valve (not a cheap one)
CO2 tubing
CO2 diffuser
Drop check w/ fluid

Do not get the 88g CO2 Kit. That is designed for small, non-refillable CO2 capsules. It cannot be put on a timer and will not work with the canister and adapter you have listed.
For about $15 more you can get a full size regulator (AquaTek or Milwaukee) to use with the paintball adaptor and paintball tank.
Other items you will need include:
Bubble counter
Check valve (not a cheap one)
CO2 tubing
CO2 diffuser
Drop check w/ fluid

+1 took the words right out of my mouth

Hey fresh,
With the aquatek regulator, do you recommend buying a new check valve and keeping the bubble counter?

Hey fresh,
With the aquatek regulator, do you recommend buying a new check valve and keeping the bubble counter?

I would replace both as they are a single unit.
The bubble counter/check valve combo that is supplied with the regulator will be fine as long as you minimize opening and closing it and reattaching tubing. The plastic nipples are its weak points. Not sure if they are from the start or constant contact with CO2 causes them to be that way. The water will need to be refilled because of evaporation. After a year of use I noticed a slight leak in the bubble counter (audible hissing). While trying to retighten it I snapped off the lower plastic nipple.
I replaced both with a brass check valve (Rhinox) and bubble counter (Fluval). Would have ordered brass for the latter but had the Fluval on hand. Even though it is plastic it is quite sturdily built and the plastic nipples have collars (the kind that screw on like a compression fitting).

Back
Top Bottom