thoughts on these lights other questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
So when i bought my 150g tank i had no intention of planting it but after much research, a lot of time on here, and finding most lfs aquaria decor cheesey i am slowly converting to a planted tank. So i stopped stocking fish. Most of my stock are hearty tetras and cories. My most delicate are my yo-yos which are my favorites! Ive been spending my gf alloted weekly indulgence spending on plants to fully plant this tank. Unfortunately my substrate is sand. If i had known from the get go id have done dirt. So i have two questions currently, can i have a successfully HEAVILY planted tank with a sand substrate(im hoping 75-80%)? I know i will need ferts and rivercats advised me on those, but can sand hold long term? Im thinking years not months.

Next question is lighting. 2 things here. First, my tank, purchased second hand, came with 2 30 watt vita-lite full spectrum T-12 bulbs. I went to the store and no one carries t-12 bulbs any more. I am confident i can find the bulbs online if needed but i was wondering how terrinle these bulbs were. Next i would like to upgrade lighting down the road. It will cost me manicure, pedicure, dinner somplace fancy, and more cuddling than id like to endure so i want to get this right. I was thinking T-5ho lighting but was told by the local lfs expert this would "blind my fish" i know some floating plants would help.this issue but i am also comfortable with simple low/mid light plants at least for now. I guess what im asking what would be the best light upgrade for me from these current dinosaurs.

It might be doable. Take a look at root tabs. Problem is sand won't let the poop get down to the roots very well, as its too dense.

Long term... I'd really recommend swapping it out. I'm a huge fan of eco complete, however I just bought a nano with some brown peatmoss like substrate. So far I'm indifferent. its a bit light and is having trouble holding the fresh plants down with little root structure. So i'm still partial to Eco Complete.

You can use sand as a "layer" if you like the look, but gravel vac'ing would be out of the question then.

Also, I may be crazy, but I feel that most ballast that can handle T-12 bulbs can also use T-8 bulbs. They're slightly smaller and slightly less powerful. Just don't mix bulbs because their wattage differs.

I wish I could answer the sand question but I have never used sand except in my reef tanks. The real question is how hard would it be to switch substrates? Now I can't say for sure but in my mind if you keep up on root tabs, use a good dosing fert system like PPS-Pro or El, do CO2 or liquid carbon, and have good light you should be able to run a long term planted tank in sand.

As for the light... well with T5HO and metal halides my fish should be blind by now according to your LFS and since a year down the road they aren't... well someone doesn't know what they're talking about. So your safe getting the type of lights you decide on without risk of blindness... lol! I don't know what to tell you about lighting since you have a deep tank like mine.

I wish I could answer the sand question but I have never used sand except in my reef tanks. The real question is how hard would it be to switch substrates? Now I can't say for sure but in my mind if you keep up on root tabs, use a good dosing fert system like PPS-Pro or El, do CO2 or liquid carbon, and have good light you should be able to run a long term planted tank in sand.

As for the light... well with T5HO and metal halides my fish should be blind by now according to your LFS and since a year down the road they aren't... well someone doesn't know what they're talking about. So your safe getting the type of lights you decide on without risk of blindness... lol! I don't know what to tell you about lighting since you have a deep tank like mine.

Thats what it really comes down too
if i need to switch i need to do it like yesterday as of this week im probably 20% planted. They dont seem to mind the lower light just grow slower. I started liquid ferts 2 weeks ago and plants look really healthy but at your advisement am looking into drys. Where do you getbthe gla ferts? I dont really know about switching to t5ho lights not because of fish blinding lol but just because i think it might be a bit more than i need but if it runs the same price or comparable to more modern lights i will go that route. The lady at the store said my ballast womt support t8 bulbs. I know nothing about ballasts so plz correct if this is incorrect

I'm the wrong person to ask about lighting. I post just that question in a new thread.

Here is the link to the fertilizer package you would need... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

You would also want to get their dosing bottles as it makes dosing so easy and worth the cost... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Here's a good thread about dosing PPS-Pro but just read the original post with the information you need in it.... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Well if you want to change your substrate now would be the time to do it. Just keep the plants you tank out in a bucket with tank water and the heater if they have to stay in the bucket too long. I just don't like stressing the plants by leaving them any length of time in cooler water after they've been in warmer tank water.

I'm the wrong person to ask about lighting. I post just that question in a new thread.

Here is the link to the fertilizer package you would need... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

You would also want to get their dosing bottles as it makes dosing so easy and worth the cost... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Here's a good thread about dosing PPS-Pro but just read the original post with the information you need in it.... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Well if you want to change your substrate now would be the time to do it. Just keep the plants you tank out in a bucket with tank water and the heater if they have to stay in the bucket too long. I just don't like stressing the plants by leaving them any length of time in cooler water after they've been in warmer tank water.

Thanks rivercats you are an amazing resource. I dont think im going to change substrates right now im just too far into this to make such a huge move, and i dont have a tank sufficient to hold all my fish in during the transfer as my spare got taken up by a baby turtle lol. I am going to be looking into better lighting for my next big tank purchase though.

Thanks rivercats you are an amazing resource. I dont think im going to change substrates right now im just too far into this to make such a huge move, and i dont have a tank sufficient to hold all my fish in during the transfer as my spare got taken up by a baby turtle lol. I am going to be looking into better lighting for my next big tank purchase though.

Back
Top Bottom